Sound f/x Qlab 1 license

Shillyer

So I am trying to run Qlab on a computer running OS 10.4.9; so I cannot run Qlab 2 as it is leopard only. I downloaded a copy of 1.3.5 from their website however it says I need a license for it because it is no longer free now that Qlab 2 came out. I cant believe they would do this they are basically forcing you to buy a pro license or upgrade to leopard. Was there ever just a basic license given out for Qlab 1.x.x the free version? I can't seem to remember and I can't find it in my email. If one does exist and you have one you are not using I would much appreciate it. Any other thoughts on a solution?

Thanks,

Sam

Their software their rules. Why not just upgrade to SL for $30, or Are you on a PPC?

I know that they wrote it so they can do what they want but it just seems like an unnecessary situation.

And yes i'm on a G5 tower, it is for a high school and i'd love for them to be able to use Qlab, but I am stuck on tiger for now.

Also the interface is a MOTU 2408 so its not like I could switch to an imac or something less expensive either that easily.

Last edited:
Well an edu license is $200 which you could convert to a qlab 1 license. And leopard is $100.

Do you work for the school? Does the current show have any spare budget? Is it a school computer?

It is a school computer, and yes I am an alum working for the school. We really don't have money to throw at this project right now and if we try and have the IT dept. install leopard we will lose all administrative privileges on the computer which will be a mess. This project was going to replace our out of date SFX system using hardware we were currently not using. Looks like we will be stuck with SFX for now.

Have you asked any parents for donations or anything?

What about a fundraiser?

Mac software is hardly ever backwards compatible. There is the feeling with most mac software developers that everyone is running the current version of the OS. This is one of the reasons that snow leopard was sold so cheap.

Have you asked any parents for donations or anything?

What about a fundraiser?

I'm going to try and talk things over with IT first, its not that we lack money however it may be better spent elsewhere because our PC with SFX still works. I was just checking to make sure there wasn't a work around for this situation I was missing.

Mac software is hardly ever backwards compatible. There is the feeling with most mac software developers that everyone is running the current version of the OS. This is one of the reasons that snow leopard was sold so cheap.

I understand this. That doesn't explain the reason to make the old software now pay only. Also this is not usually the case with a lot of professional software, many of them aren't even fully 10.6 compatible yet.

I can understand them not wanting to have to support free legacy versions forever.

Also, be careful with selling or trading licenses, I do not know the specifics with QLab but many software licenses are non-transferable. This is especially true with upgrades, special upgrade prices are typically predicated on being an extension of the original software and license meaning that you cannot sell the earlier version or related license unless you purchase an entirely new copy of the newer version rather than an upgrade. Read those license agreements, they often cover just such details.

E-mail Chris Ashworth (the developer of QLab) and see if he can work something out for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back