Positioning Source Fours

Hi everyone,

Question about where to place my "Source Four"s:

I have 3x "Source Four"s (see attached pic) on the "back wall" tormentor.

I've put 575w bulbs in them (so I can control them with a Dimmer Pack).

I also have thick colored gels on the fixtures.

I just installed 2x new tormentors (left and right). I call it "position B" in the photo.

My question: do you think that I should keep the tormentors on the "back wall" (where they are now), OR, move them to the new tormentors (position B)?

The purpose is to light actors in live plays.

P.S. I have a 4th Source Four fixture, so I'm considering putting 2x fixtures on the left side and 2x on the right side

Thank you so much for your help with this!! 😍

Sophia

Attachments

• Current-position.jpg
    Current-position.jpg
    397.5 KB · Views: 164
  • New-tormentor.jpg
    New-tormentor.jpg
    407.2 KB · Views: 147
I cannot tell from the photo, but what is the degree spread marked on the lens tube for your Source 4's? Should be something like 19, 26 or 36 degrees.
This will dictate where you can best use the 4 fixtures in question. You need to evenly light the width of your stage with "front light" so the audience can clearly see the performers' faces.
This is for the most basic function of lighting, which is visibility. From your photos, I can see nothing that does this yet. Since the stage appears to be fairly wide, I would go with your rear horizontal pipe position,
which, as shown, would not be termed a "tormentor" or vertical pipe/boom, but instead is simply a FOH (Front of House) pipe. Hopefully your 4 Source 4s have the proper beam spread to uniformly light the stage width with
good overlap. Certainly do not use the dark blue or red gels in these as you want a bright and natural appearance. If you have more fixtures, you could use your Position B for those if they have a wider spread since the distance
to the stage is shorter. Some light color in those could help with dimensionality. Sounds like you might consider bringing in someone with more experience to help you from a local college or university. Just my 2 cents.

I cannot tell from the photo, but what is the degree spread marked on the lens tube for your Source 4's? Should be something like 19, 26 or 36 degrees.
This will dictate where you can best use the 4 fixtures in question. You need to evenly light the width of your stage with "front light" so the audience can clearly see the performers' faces.
This is for the most basic function of lighting, which is visibility. From your photos, I can see nothing that does this yet. Since the stage appears to be fairly wide, I would go with your rear horizontal pipe position,
which, as shown, would not be termed a "tormentor" or vertical pipe/boom, but instead is simply a FOH (Front of House) pipe. Hopefully your 4 Source 4s have the proper beam spread to uniformly light the stage width with
good overlap. Certainly do not use the dark blue or red gels in these as you want a bright and natural appearance. If you have more fixtures, you could use your Position B for those if they have a wider spread since the distance
to the stage is shorter. Some light color in those could help with dimensionality. Sounds like you might consider bringing in someone with more experience to help you from a local college or university. Just my 2 cents.
Thank you for your answer! 😍

Sophia

Hi everyone,

Question about where to place my "Source Four"s:

I have 3x "Source Four"s (see attached pic) on the "back wall" tormentor.

I've put 575w bulbs in them (so I can control them with a Dimmer Pack).

I also have thick colored gels on the fixtures.

I just installed 2x new tormentors (left and right). I call it "position B" in the photo.

My question: do you think that I should keep the tormentors on the "back wall" (where they are now), OR, move them to the new tormentors (position B)?

The purpose is to light actors in live plays.

P.S. I have a 4th Source Four fixture, so I'm considering putting 2x fixtures on the left side and 2x on the right side

Thank you so much for your help with this!! 😍

Sophia
As stated we need to know the spread ( IE 19, 26 etc) and the size of stage, trim height and throw distance in order to help better. I also agree that your main goal is to light the faces first with even white light. Given that you have 4 lights and If your stage is 40' wide with a throw of 45', then you would get 4 areas at 12' using a S4-26. So my thoughts are place them straight in the FOH position instead of sides no gel colors.

Also note most dimmer 4 packs will safely hold 3 at 575 W, Usually they will trip with 4 of the 575w. And check the rating on the circuit so you don't exceed the rated amps for all the receptacles on that run.

Lastly, is that a fire sensor directly above one of the lights. Source 4s can get quite hot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back