Quick feeder question

jstroming

I have a small event going in next week, the electrician who will be doing the tie in is out of the country, and I need to get my shop pull sheet in by end of business today....The venue has a 4wire 200A panel installed (with breaker), so am I correct in providing him 5wire Camlok tails? This will be hooked up directly to an ETC 12ch 2kW sensor rack. I'm assuming he'll just bus together the neutral and ground, but I want to make sure I'm providing him with the right thing. The venue production manager assured me events use that panel to power distros and dimmers all the time, so I think I'm on the right track with the cam tails. I can always do a last minute run to the shop but I'm hoping to avoid that. Thanks!

...so am I correct in providing him 5wire Cam-lok tails? ...
The worst-case scenario is that one of the wires is not used.

...The venue has a 4wire 200A panel installed (with breaker), ...
Is it a two-pole or three-pole breaker? I suspect a "4wire 200A panel" would be HHNG, 120/240VAC 1Ø, split-phase.

...I'm assuming he'll just bus together the neutral and ground, ...
No. Connecting the ground and neutral together may only be done at the service entrance (where power enters the building) and no where else.

...This will be hooked up directly to an ETC 12ch 2kW sensor rack. ...
Either the dimmer pack needs to be set-up in the shop for 120/240VAC 1Ø leaving the center input unused, OR two of the three hot legs tied together.

To cover all your bases, I'd include on the shop order:
1 set 2/0 tails
1 set 10' rack jumpers
1 ea. Tee, paralleling
1 ea. Tee, tapping
2 ea. Cam-lok turnaround, MM
2 ea. Cam-lok turnaround, FF

The venue just sent me this pics, don't know if this helps!!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1323362714.056824.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1323362714.056824.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 242
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1323362729.701347.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1323362729.701347.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 265
If only they had moved the camera up so we could see if they color coded the three fused lines. I would assume the line market with the white e-tape is neutral, but we all know what happens when one assumes....

Lower left at bottom (2nd pic) in the shadows, looks like a ground lug to the case, so I would say HHHN

the electrician who will be doing the tie in is out of the country, and I need to get my shop pull sheet in by end of business today....The venue has a 4wire 200A panel installed (with breaker), so am I correct in providing him 5wire Camlok tails?

Yep, hand him 5 and meter it. We could go round and round on it not being code compliant, but you are not doing the tie in, you are handing off to the house electrician. It is his responsibility to keep his house in order. Your concern should be that your equipment is receiving proper power.

Looks like there are three hots, a nuetral top left and ground bottom left, operative phrase, looks like. If possible bring a lug for the ground tap. I would suggest they take another picture showing the entire box so we can see the taps on the left. The lug top left is isolated from the box so I am assuming it's a nuetral. The bottom left is probably a ground but you can't tell if there is a lug or not.

Sorry for the mini-rant, but coming from a power gen back ground, so many times questions here are answered with a just give him this or do that.

From the picture we know nothing. 3phase 200a comes in all flavors.
It could be
120/208
120/240
277/480
or even some other bastardazation there in. Just be cause someone says the last guy plugged in here is no reason to not know 100%.

A phrase that kills is "the last guy did it".

I have seen 20 year union electricians mix up the line and load line in a transfer switch. I have also had to pick up the pieces afterword.
Why take the chance?

How about "I am sorry, I do not know exactly what you need and until I have all of the information I need, I cannot give you an answer." anything other than that and you are taking to many chances, at best you blow up a dimmer rack, at worst....look up arc blast on youtube for the worst.

Ok well they sent me another pic. So if that is the ground lower left of image, what do I need to provide for him to attach bare wire to?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1323437185.826486.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1323437185.826486.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 219
And ejsandstrom, while your efforts are noble, I'm simply making sure I have the correct equipment for the electrician who returns this weekend while the shop is closed.

Yep, hand him 5 and meter it. We could go round and round on it not being code compliant, but you are not doing the tie in, you are handing off to the house electrician. It is his responsibility to keep his house in order. Your concern should be that your equipment is receiving proper power.

JD said it right, give five tails and meter before you connect. This isn't a perfect world and Most of us who have toured with small companies have tied into a panel like that many times.

Tom Johnson

Users who are viewing this thread

Back