Quick Voiceless Comms to Mic Tech

kizza42

Help please,
I'm looking for a touchscreen program that I'm sure I've seen posted on here before but search turns up nothing.

It was a touchscreen optimized app that allowed the FoH Mixer communicate with a backstage microphone tech alerting them to problems with mic channels via canned buttons without speaking to them.
It would help report broken microphones or RF Hits and then they would be able to acknowledge the alarms.

You want a touch screen on both sides of the conversation? I don't know of anything on the market that does that. You could program one yourself easily enough using TouchOSC on an iPad triggering AppleScript pop-up windows on the A2 side of things.

There are programs like RadioWorld that the brits use. A lot of shows have a KVM from the A2's RF computer viewable at FOH, I stopped doing that and these days I just use Adium everywhere, though truthfully 75% of the time the A1 and A2 will just start texting each other once the designers are out of the room and the show is open.

Yeah, RadioWorld is close but it was more touch orientated. Someone has already made it and it might have been OSC based. It was a touch screen at both ends, It had a Matrix of pre-canned Message buttons like:

RF1 - Crackling Mic
RF1 - RF Hit
RF1 - Costume Issue
RF1 - Battery Dead
RF2 - Crackling Mic
RF2 - RF Hit
RF2 - Costume Issue
RF2 - Battery Dead
RF3 - Crackling Mic
RF3 - RF Hit
RF3 - Costume Issue
RF3 - Battery Dead
etc up to however many mics.
There was a way for the A2 to acknowledge and then a free chat window as well. The main strength however was that it covers off the situations where both ops are task saturated and its just two quick presses and the fault is logged and then the A2 can mark it acknowledged when they get a spare moment.

Not exactly what you're describing, but this seems similar. Not sure it's a real product in that I'm not sure there's a website for it anywhere, but the creator, Kyra Soko, made some posts on FB about it recently.

Google Drive Link

For my theatre friends. I designed this simple two way communication system between the A1 mixer and the A2 Radio Mic tech during a show. It runs on TouchOSC , TouchOSC Bridge (Midi over Network) and Qlab 4.
All just Midi CC messages sent back and forth with Qlab acting as a Midi router under macro control.
The big red box at the top flashes on both ipads (or tablets or phones) when touched by either A1 or A2. Got alert stops it from flashing. Clear alert from either A1 or A2 clears both screens.
Some buttons are shared, some are just for the A1 and some just for the A2. Try to think of this as a short conversation and it should make sense. Set Qlab's Midi Patch 1 to TouchOSC Bridge.
Have a great show.
Kyra Soko
Vancouver, Canada

proxy.php

proxy.php

That feature is, I think, also included in Insight from Nemesis Research, whose raison d'etre is to give the A2 a way to listen to Dante audio sources (including mics) from the notch; it rides atop DVS on a PC or laptop, with a really good pair of closed-back headphones attached.

It's pretty cheap, really, if you're arlready speaking Dante.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back