Optimum Sound Setup and Solutions for my space.

jddgg22

Hey everyone,
I have read multiple posts about troubleshooting frequency distribution as well as many of the FAQ's but was hoping for some personal input regarding and optimum sound setup for my space.

As a High School it is hard enough getting quality sound equipment due to budgetary constraints, but now that I have a fairly large supply of quality microphones I am struggling with a substantial amount of RF and element troubles, and was looking for some advice.

To begin with; I cannot for the life of me stop my students for destroying the over the ear elements that I am purchasing. Many of them are quality Shure elements, but I keep getting shorts in the wires, and connectors. Usually just below the ear and right by the connector to the transmitter. I have instructed the students to tape their elements with a little bit of slack right at the neck before the ear so that it doesn't pull tightly in those areas, as well as on their hips with a little slack before the connector but it doesn't seem to help. So my question is, is there really that great of a difference in the quality of pickup and performance of the over the ear mic's verses the lavaliere boxes? I have found the lavalieres to be much more durable.

If there is a big difference, does anyone have any suggestions for minimizing damage to the over the ear mic's, or minimizing the performance quality when switching to the lavalieres?

Second on my list of "Novice High School Tech Problems" is my sound system itself. I know that many forums encourage the testing of equipment before the reconfiguring of the microphone setup, but being a new school our setup is in flux and therefore I would like to try and optimize how the equipment is set up to eliminate problems in future productions. In past productions we had a lot of difficulties with mic's cutting our or random interference within the frequencies, and I was looking for ways to minimize this.

Currently our system consists of 14 Shure SLX4 receivers ranging with a variety of H5's G4's and L4's as well as 4 700 Series Audio Technicas. We have a Single Antenna and Power distro that used to be with four of the Shure's in our tower in the booth, but after our snake shorted to the mixing console snake output in the house we pulled the four mic's out and haven't installed the antenna distributor back into the system....

The theater is set up with a 46' wide proscenium, 23 foot tall and 26 foot deep. The first FOH mixing station (which we usually only use during musicals and main stage productions) is about 35' in front of the house, level with the stage (maybe a foot or two higher than the stage), the sound booth where our tower is, and our current antenna distribution is mounted is about 60' - 70' away, about 20 feet above the stage and doesn't have any real room to place the microphones where they wouldn't be behind a cinder block wall. Whenever we are doing events other than our main stage shows (meetings, conferences, band concerts, choir concerts etc) we often have the sound board back up in the booth.

Now I am wondering what our best options would be; in your potentially professional opinions:
To try and maximize our equipment and minimize our problems should I....
1. Set up all of the microphone receivers in the booth in road boxes so that they can perform their necessary duties from in the booth during normal use and then bring them down to the mixing console in the house during main performances.
2. Set up all of the microphone receivers in the booth and purchase an Antenna Distributor for each set of four to try and amplify and optimize their frequency reception. (Not sure if the amplification in the distributor simply allows the one antenna to work for four, or if it actually strengthens the antenna's ability to pick up signal)
3. Set up a series of antenna distributors that have antenna runs from a series of antenna's in the catwalks (23 ft above the stage) that then have COAX runs down to our 1st FOH mix. I'm not sure if this is a better option, because with the set up of our school, unless we want to have awkward cables strung along the walls it would take almost a 60'-70' run to get from the catwalks, to the basement, and then back up to the FOH mix.
4. We have 6 mic ports back stage on in either wing that meet up with the snake, so we also have the potential of creating two sets of side stage microphones (4 with antenna distribution, and 2 stand alone) as well as a group of 6 mic's at the FOH mix by the board.
5. Or try and purchase a single mic distributor and stack multiple road boxes of mics at the sound area next to the sound board. The only problem I have then is that if I stack all of them above audience height they begin to create significant sight line troubles for the audience directly behind the sound board.
6. As stated in the previous option just without a large sum of antenna distributors to save money...
7. Is there a more reliable kind of antenna I could purchase for each of the units to strengthen their ability to receive signals?

Ok, I realize that I lot of this may be highly questionable in regard to the appropriate terminology, as well as many of the purposed options might be obviously insufficient. For this, all I can say is... "I'm still learning".

Please let me know if you have any other suggestions or questions regarding specifications!

Thanks for all the help!

- James Dykstra

Hi James,

Question, does anyone around you rent Shure UHF-R units? Here's what I'm thinking, there's probably a source of RF interference near you that you are unaware of or is unmarked. I assume you've checked TV stations and so on, so you make sure you're on unused channels? Shure has a product called Wireless Workbench, which is free, and is designed to be a frequency management system. Now, its designed to work and automatically select channels for the UHF-R stuff, but if you rent a UHF-R reciever (don't even need the transmitter) you can plug it into a laptop, give WWB all the data on your mics (model and band, ie J3 or H4) and it will scan the airwaves around your space and map out the ones with the least interference. You then can just set your wireless gear to those frequencies and it should be smooth sailing.

Next: actual infrastructure problems. SLX is pretty good wireless gear and you should not be running into interference issues over such a short distance. That being said, having your receivers as close as possible would be an advantage. I would recommend you rack mount them and bring the rack down to the mixing table like you said, or even better, leave them back stage and snake it up to the console, although with your high school setting this could be asking for trouble....

The over the ear elements do sound much better, and more importantly you'll have fewer issues with feedback from floor mics or pit mics. Granted, they ARE easy to break. In my high school we never had problems with breaking gear during theater shows (dance department was another story) and that'd because myself and the other students respected the equipment and knew its worth. Before every dress sit them down and run though a basic 'here's what this is, here's how much it costs, he's how you can use it correctly, here's how it can get broken'. In my experience if you take the time to explain to kids the situation with gear.

Use the antenna distributor if you can, it'll help for sure, but you really should not have as many problems as you are having. A RF scan with the UHF-R would be a good start, and should cost you less than $100 and and an afternoon.

p.s. not sure if WWB6 is technically released yet, PM me if you need a beta copy

WWB5 would work fine for this and is publicly available.
WWB6 is tied into Axient. (But feel free to send me a Beta Copy ;))

One of the big RF issues can be systems interfering with each other and a frequency coordination should solve that particular issue.
If you wanted to either PM me or post a list of your current frequencies and your ZIP code I can run them to check if they are clean. I'm also happy to let the computer do its magic and create some new clean numbers if you just wanted to blank slate it, I'd need to know the number of systems in each band split and the ZIP code

I honestly would not try changing anything else until you've worked out how your frequencies sit and if relevant, had a test run with some clean frequencies and then see what's still playing up...

Last edited:
WWB5 would work fine for this and is publicly available.
WWB6 is tied into Axient. (But feel free to send me a Beta Copy ;))

One of the big RF issues can be systems interfering with each other and a frequency coordination should solve that particular issue.
If you wanted to either PM me or post a list of your current frequencies and your ZIP code I can run them to check if they are clean. I'm also happy to let the computer do its magic and create some new clean numbers if you just wanted to blank slate it, I'd need to know the number of systems in each band split and the ZIP code

I honestly would not try changing anything else until you've worked out how your frequencies sit and if relevant, had a test run with some clean frequencies and then see what's still playing up...
Wwb6 is really excellent, but wwb5 would work okay (but no lion)
I'm thinking it's more local then tv bands and whatnot, possibly something within the school

Sure it could be a localised issue, but it certainly would NOT be the first thing I'd be checking...
And besides, it's free to check the maths and TV channel occupation...

1) Frequency co-ordination.

2) Move them to the stage (ours are in the top of the amp rack).

3) Proper antenna distribution (splitters).

We're running two sets of eight Sennheisers with splitters, close to the stage. No fancy antennas needed - just four of the little whip antennas that came with the receivers, mounted atop the rack.

(Pic taken when there were only nine receivers and two splitters.)
RackHJR200908.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back