R40 strips eating gels alive.

gafftapegreenia

CBMod
CB Mods
So at my new place of employment, we have Altman R40 strips lighting our cyc as a bottom row. For our current holiday rep, the strips are boxed in by the cyc on one side, and city skyline flats on the other. The strips have, at best, 10" of clearance. As a result, there is almost NO airflow, and the 300 watt R40 lamps are burning and melting gel literally before my eyes.

So, in order to alleviate this problem, we have constructed frame risers that will elevate the color media away from the lamp, allowing an inch of air space on both the top and bottom sides. Along with this we are planning to add Heatshield in the original gel slot, as well as a small fan or two to increase airflow in the gap between the flats and the cyc. We would like to be able to at least get a show or two out of a cut of gel, instead of 10 minutes. Lamping down is not an option. I could use rondels, but that would only take care of 1/3 of the cells, because aside from primary blue, there are no R39 or R18 rondels. Dichroics are out of the budget. Is there anything else that I'm not thinking of?

Naturally, we want LED, but current budget does not allow that. In the future we may have some grant money, but of course, that is a whole 'nother thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back