Re-Addressing Dimmers? (ETC Net 1)

Chris Chapman

Theoretical Question: In my Net 1 space, could I readdress the Dimmers in my rack to different circuits?

For example: What if I wanted to dedicate dimmer 76 (my 1st floor circuit) to be a cue light dimmer, but the cheap NSI Board I want to use is only addressable from 1-24. To have it talk to a high dimmer in my space, should I be able to do that through the CEM? When I swap Dimmer Packs, they automatially know which dimmer slot they are in the rack. How is this addressing happening?

Example #2: My Electrics have drop boxes instead of raceways, and so we have to cable all over. Our Architects split the dimmer numbering by stage left/stage right. So the dimmers on E1 go 80-92, and then 120-128. (The missing numbers are stepping up on each electric going upstage, SL E2 is 94-100, SL E3 101-116, etc. To make a long story short (too late) none of my electrics make sense. I want addressing that is more like a raceway, where E1 is 80-98, E2 is 99-116, E3 is 117-132. No jumping around.

But Chris, you say, just deal with it in the softpatch for channel assignment on the Board. Yeah, I could do that as well, but having the actual Electrics makes hang and focus WAY easier.

So re-addressing Dimmers, can you do it through the CEM or not?

I assume you have the first generation Sensor rack or "Sensor Classic" as some call it. DMX assignments to slot positions can be changed but you need additional devices to do it. There is a Windows Sensor configuration program to change properties such as module type and DMX address. It creates a file that needs to be loaded into the CEM. To load the configuration, an Echelon interface box is required to link the computer to the ETC Link RJ45 connector on the CEM.

An ETC dealer with an interface box should be able to do this for you. Contact ETC Technical Services for more details.

-MH

Yes you can change the dimmer output assignments in the CEM. Should you choose to do this be aware that when you re-assign the Sensor dimmers, the numbering scheme on the circuits out in the theater will no longer follow the DMX addressing.

That would potentially make for a ton of confusion as the DMX address you are calling up or patching on the console is no longer the same circuit number in the theater.

If you think your circuit distribution scheme is confusing now, you would be inducing even more confusion.

Yes you can change the dimmer output assignments in the CEM. Should you choose to do this be aware that when you re-assign the Sensor dimmers, the numbering scheme on the circuits out in the theater will no longer follow the DMX addressing.

That would potentially make for a ton of confusion as the DMX address you are calling up or patching on the console is no longer the same circuit number in the theater.

If you think your circuit distribution scheme is confusing now, you would be inducing even more confusion.

If we do this, we would relabel ALL of the circuits involved. This primarily effects the Electrics, as FOH and Floorpockets actually make sense.

If we do this, we would relabel ALL of the circuits involved. This primarily effects the Electrics, as FOH and Floorpockets actually make sense.
Or power down the rack, open it up and re-land the circuits in the pattern you like (if you or someone else on your staff is comfortable with this). Make a spreadsheet ahead of time that show 'old ckt num' --> 'new ckt num'; when you open the rack, make sure all the wires are labelled before you disconnect anything; then it's just connect the dots.

As someone else with drop boxes I see no reason for this. Since they are mobile and can go anywhere you might get the order right one day, and get it wrong the next day. I just write down which box is where on each electric before they fly out so I can find the dimmers for the lights that were hung. But if you must go through with it make sure you document the hell out of it. On top of the digital copies leave paper copies in binders in places like the dimmer room and the lighting booth, and anywhere else you keep manuals and building paperwork. Because there will come a time when you are no longer working at that building and someone else will be left to try and figure out what you did.

Or power down the rack, open it up and re-land the circuits in the pattern you like (if you or someone else on your staff is comfortable with this). Make a spreadsheet ahead of time that show 'old ckt num' --> 'new ckt num'; when you open the rack, make sure all the wires are labelled before you disconnect anything; then it's just connect the dots.
He would still have to relabel the raceway though. This makes sense if you couldn't do it through CEM though.

As someone else with drop boxes I see no reason for this. Since they are mobile and can go anywhere you might get the order right one day, and get it wrong the next day. I just write down which box is where on each electric before they fly out so I can find the dimmers for the lights that were hung. But if you must go through with it make sure you document the hell out of it. On top of the digital copies leave paper copies in binders in places like the dimmer room and the lighting booth, and anywhere else you keep manuals and building paperwork. Because there will come a time when you are no longer working at that building and someone else will be left to try and figure out what you did.
In 17 Years in this facility we have NEVER moved the drop boxes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back