Recording Concerts

Studio

At my high school we have been asked to record audio for music concerts. We trying to figure out the best way to record the output from these microphones..

Last edited:
By tape deck, are you referring to something like a DV or mini DV deck? Hopefully not a cassette deck.

My thoughts are that it seems excessive to route from one mixer to another mixer, then the switcher, then a tape deck, then to your computer before you obtain the audio you need. Why not just feed the mics directly into the Alesis and then to the computer directly via the firewire?

~Dave

I wanted to give the big picture, and see if there were any flaws in it. Mainly on the software side of things. Would audacity be the best to use for multi-track recording.

Last edited:
"Best" is such an arbitrary question. Software is a very personal choice. Audicy is a decent program you should have no problems with, especially since you are most likely just recording archival copies of the performances with 2 channels. Pro Tools and Cubase are other popular programs. I would say use what you are most comfortable with. If you are running into particular issues with the software, that is another issue.

~Dave

Can you maybe take even another step back and explain what you are trying to do. It sounds like you may be referencing having both a stereo audio-for-video feed and doing a multi-track audio recording. And that maybe the two SM81s relate only to those mixes, thus the second mixer to mix the output of the house mixer and the two recording/ambient mics. It may be important to get the overall concept defined and a conceptual solution developed before addressing specific products.

What i am doing is both video and audio recording of concerts in our school's theater. I am replacing a unreliable system with a simpler and more efficient system.

Last edited:
You may want to verify the basic approach. I personally do not like using Groups for recording as they are post fader sends which means that you are stuck with all the channel faders affecting both the house and recording mixes. This is often a less than desirable approach given that the people in the house get direct sound and room reinforcement that is not present in the recording, something especially relevant in concert recording. I personally also like to be able to include the overhead or ambient mics in some sends such as ALS, stage monitors, backstage feeds, Lobby feeds and so on, which would not be possible if they run only to the recording mixer.

It does somewhat come down to a balance of simplicity versus quality and flexibility. The arrangement you describe will be fairly simple, however it is also very limiting. One option would be to run all the sources to the main console and use aux sends on the console to create an independent recording mix, using the 11x2 matrix outputs would also be an option, although with less finite control. Possibly the optimal option as far as flexibility and quality would be to use the Direct Output on each mono channel, along with Group, Aux or Matrix outputs or splits prior to the console if you use the stereo inputs. You could then create a truly dedicated record mix and/or and record all of the sources as a multitrack recording to be mixed or edited later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back