Recording mixer advice

i was looking into the allen and Heath
ZED-428.

is this mixer good for recording metal bands and acoustic guitars and vocals and also producing hip hop beats with drum machines and vintage synths with turntables? oh and also running compressors gates and limiters and eq's.

if there is better mixer in the price range of $1500 to $1700, please let me know thnk you :)

recording mixer advice anyone?

i was looking into the allen and Heath
ZED-428.

is this mixer good for recording metal bands and acoustic guitars and vocals and also producing hip hop beats with drum machines and vintage synths with turntables? oh and also running compressors gates and limiters and eq's.

if there is better mixer in the price range of $1500 to $1700, please let me know thnk you :)

how is the sound on the ZED.

Re: recording mixer advice anyone?

Slow down, posting six times on the same topic between 9:30 and 12:30 at night, and the same thing twice, is not going to get responses any quicker.

is this mixer good for recording metal bands and acoustic guitars and vocals and also producing hip hop beats with drum machines and vintage synths with turntables?
Can you explain a bit more about what you are wanting to do? The ZED428 comes with some software but it is a mixer, not a digital audio workstation. If you are referencing the USB connectivity I believe that is essentially a two channel USB audio interface built into the console, it is two channels in and two channels out and not a multi-track recording or production device.

oh and also running compressors gates and limiters and eq's.
Again, can you clarify what you mean? The ZED428 has inserts for external devices but does not have any internal effects, extended EQ or dynamics processing.

Perhaps the question here is better for what? What are you really trying to do? How many channels do you need both of actual inputs to the mixer and for recording? Will the mixer be used purely for recording/production or also for live mixing? I do get the impression that something like the PreSonus StudioLive mixers or some of the Yamaha offerings may be more of what you are looking for, however a mixer with internal processing and integrated support of multi-track recording that can still match the physical I/O of the ZED428 would probably be well above a $1,500 to $1,700 price range.

sorry buddy.

well im gonna run the channels to interfaces then the interfaces to the computer, not really gonna use the interface on the mixer. basically trying run all the synths, drums, guitars, vocals, ect. to the mixer then out into the interface then to the computer and use DAW to record.
so im asking is the zed good for that or is there a better mixer?

Last edited:
Lets assume I have a 24 channel 4 bus mixer and an 8x8 audio interface like a M audio ulra 8r. I simply take the bus outs and connect them to the ultra 8r's 8 line inputs. Then route the 8 line outputs to channels 1-8 of the mixer. This way I can route any mixer channel to the audio interface's inputs by selecting the bus button at the bottom of the fader. Or can i also use the the directs out instead the subs?

If i had to pick a specific recording console, i'd go with this one.

But, i think it's well out of your budget, sadly...

Now, on to your routing question:
Yes, an interface like the M-Audio you mentioned would work fine... I terms of hooking it up to the board, that depends on how you want to use it... I can tell you how I'd hook it up... but that may not work for you, or i might only work for one application, or I might want to actually do a different routing each time, or.....
You need to spend time understanding how each output is different, and then, hopefully the routing solutions you need will become clear.

Also, which mic pre's are you using? External? Board pre's? ...M-Audio pre's?

The PreSonus StudioLive 16.4.2 isn't actually that far out of your budget. That might be the best bet you'll get - mixer and interface in one...

(also, I suggest you locate the edit feature. It's very handy for adding more information, as opposed to adding nth posts, which can be... visually un-professional)

If you already have external preamps, I would focus on the interface and mix in-the-box. Most project studios are using a mixer for playback and monitoring only. Although I like A & H, I think its the wrong tool for the job you're describing.
Get the signals through quality preamps/DIs (unfortunately, lots of cheap, bad ones) and then into your DAW via a decent interface (lots to choose from). That will have the biggest impact on tonal quality. A good reference point that I've learned over the years is that it cost about $400/channel to purchase a quality preamp that will give you significantly better tone than the onboard Focusrite pres on a ProTools LE rig or a Mackie Onyx mixer. You certainly can get a different tone that may work on certain instruments/voices in certain situations but not better. The usual problems is that if you use that pre on multiple signals, the "Wonk" created by the tube or plate starved format will build up into ugliness on multiple channels. You can go cheaper on DIY kits if you're good with a soldering iron and have time.
If you're trying to record an entire metal band live and multitrack, unless you've got an acoustically controlled space, it is not going to give you great results regardless.
If you're trying to make quick changes into your interface, then a simple patch bay would be the tool to use. (and a lot cheaper).

Come out of your DAW into your mixer for multiple headphone mixes via subs, monitor mixes, etc...
Don't confuse tracking with mixing, and while we're on the topic, don't confuse mixing with mastering. All 3 are important and should be done seperately.

My .02

Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back