Refinishing [speaker] cabinets

Anonymous067

What are the steps/how would someone go about refinishing a speaker cabinet, so that it doesn't have carpet finish? How could I professionally do something difference that is more durable and cleanable?

Odds are if it is covered in carpet, the cabinet is made out of particle board and therefore you can't refinish it. You could recover it with something else such as a laminate, but you won't be able to paint it and half it look halfway decent.

Strip the carpet, glue a thin layer of plywood over the particle board.
Paint plywood.

IMO attempting to glue thin plywood over the existing cabinet is not going to work very well. I think a better solution is to just get some truck bedliner and apply it, you can roll it on and it does a pretty good job

you MIGHT find out that your cabinets are real plywood underneath

Yorkville for instance has both finish options on their cabinets

sharyn

If you want good coverage with truck bed liner it needs to be sprayed on.
(preferably by someone with experience)

If you want good coverage with truck bed liner it needs to be sprayed on.
(preferably by someone with experience)

I have had good luck with the can system that NAPA sells, and just rolling it on, most of the spray products are more limited to being sold via truck bed liner aftermarket shops

Sharyn

I have had good luck with the can system that NAPA sells, and just rolling it on, most of the spray products are more limited to being sold via truck bed liner aftermarket shops

Sharyn

I've used herculiner on home built road cases before. It holds up well, however is a mess to apply. Pretty much consider anything it touches to be trashed.

Besides that... Blah, if its plywood refinish it like anything else.... clean, sand, prime, prime, paint, paint.

Any good paint store (Sherwin Williams, Benjamin Moore etc..) has small quantities of these coatings that can be used with HVLP spray setups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back