Reflector Removal!!!

In college, we replaced about 40-60 of our reflectors on S4's. Aside from the breaking method, we were able to remove the reflectors using two razor blades inserted under the clips. It's been awhile since I've done it, but we settled on this method which worked very effectively. Obviously be very careful using sharp blades, but if you are careful you can wedge them between the clips and the reflector. As a side note, salvaged reflectors can be turned into some rather fun wall sconces or overhead lights (for a pool table or serving bar perhaps).
As frighting as it sounded to load the glass reflector with razor blades and then tap out, this proved to be a pretty good method, Thanks!!

Stick with either extra clips themselves stuck in with handles mounted and as a possible concept the bent angle perhaps ground out. A bunch of 1" putty knives, or in general some say 22ga-18ga steel shim stock to insert between the bent clip and the glass reflector. Have not had to do it in a while, but I might try a mini pry bar to spread and insert little pieces of steel once the spring clips per side are spread. Might put some gaff tape on the mini-pry bar so as not to damage the glass.

Even with these reflector retaining handles built, -sometimes two, sometimes three work, but four is the goal in popping it just right... but at times it works with a fall out of everything, and other times it doesn't work with stuff falling out. Or flinging out which is the conern about using blades. Sharp or even dull razor blades would be bad to be flinging about in a reflector popping out situation even if locally successful.

Darned spring at the bottom screws stuff up. At one point I was making a jig so as to pop the reflector accuracy with an arbor press, but that never went far enough in too rare the extraction to put further effort into it. I would think the actual "popping" out of the reflector is the most important part of this removal process. Have to soundly get that reflector out of the tension clips ramped out to remove it. If off too much to any one side in hitting or pushing it out... you fail. Were there a way to remove the spring spacer at the bottom of the reflector this whole process would be easier.

Never found an easy way other than luck. Glad I don't have to extract many reflectors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back