Reluctance to take cues

Good day CB'ers!
Rather than making them copies of the script, I could give them cue lists and write all the cues down in my book. This show is very cue-light, and I would never consider NOT giving my operators a script for a larger show?

As someone who has board opped both professionally and academically, I am rarely ever given a script. In the 30+ shows I have worked in the last 2 years, I have used a script twice. So if the board ops are serious, they need to understand that rarely will they ever have a script and they need to be willing to go along with the SM and let everyone do their proper duties.

--The 2 times I have used a script where one play where I had several visual cues that the SM let me take myself as she had several fly cues at the same time and by taking out the intermediary, we could properly nail timing off the visual, and the second time was when I was live mixing a show and had several things that weren't programmed into scene memory.

I'm afraid I was misunderstood in my original post. For the show that I was referring to, no mixing of microphones needed to take place. For the upcoming show, Beauty and the Beast, we will have two sound ops: one running effects (will be on comms) and one who is mixing the lav mics (will not). I will most likely give the guy mixing the lav mikes a script. Mostly for the purposes of this thread, I was referring to sound effects and lighting.

Also, regarding the comment that you do more than your stage manager, blah067 - you need to tell him/her to wake up. I may do more as a stage manager in a single day of tech week than one (not all) of my sound ops will do during their involvement with the show.

Thank you all the advice!
My post was in response to Blah046 not to the original post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back