Replace or Repair 01V

Footer

Senior Team
Senior Team
Premium Member
I have an aging original 01V (2001 vintage I believe). It has faders that are a bit sticky when going from layer to layer. The EQ pots have also completely died. I assume that if a Yamaha service center were to fix it it would run me 500 or so.

I am looking to do an upgrade to our sound system to add a center cluster and some boundary mics. Right now we do primarily playback.

I can buy a 01V96VCM for around 2300, making it around an 1800 dollar investment. I would love to have the extra processing power, studio manager support, 96k, all that fun stuff.

Is the extra cash worth it?

Have you priced the repairs yet? I would do that first. What will you do with it if you don't fix it? It's really only worth about $5-700 in the used market, so sinking $500 into fixing it probably isn't smart. I've never directly compared the two versions but have used both a bit. I try to stay away from both of them for live use (way too slow and clunky) but I seem to remember the 96 being easier and more features. I would recommend finding $1000 under some couch cushions for a used LS9-16, but I hate when people recommend things that are obviously over budget.

I would recommend finding $1000 under some couch cushions for a used LS9-16, but I hate when people recommend things that are obviously over budget.

One of our board members is part of this push... I will be posting more on that later. If we do decide to go with wireless mics I will be going to an LS9-16 with a 8 input card.

If you can make the step up to the LS9 you will be SO glad you did. You mention Studio Manager. The LS9 has Ethernet, so just connect any off the shelf wireless router and mix the show from anywhere within reach of the WiFi signal. Use a tablet PC for even more awesomeness.

Just as an FYI, I'm not sure who is quoting you over $2k but it should really be less than that. I know that MSRP is $2400 but most dealers will give it to you for less than that. If got mine for $1900. Anyway, if you PM I can give you contact info for the dealer who sold me mine.

Just as an FYI, I'm not sure who is quoting you over $2k but it should really be less than that. I know that MSRP is $2400 but most dealers will give it to you for less than that. If got mine for $1900. Anyway, if you PM I can give you contact info for the dealer who sold me mine.

I have quotes out right now that I should get back on Monday, I am not really concerned with price right now. With this type of situation its a need first, budget later type of thing.

any thoughts on what your going to do with your old board? sorry saw the post and had to ask (trying to get a personal equip started)

We made the exact same switch in one of our smaller spaces a year or so back. We have no regretted it at all; money well spent. Certainly the LS9-16 would be better (we have the LS9-32 on our main stage and love it), but if you are just using it for some area micing and playback, the O1V96 is great. Sounds better than the vintage O1V IMO. They extra features are fantastic. Once you have them, you will find more and more uses for them. Certainly better than taking $500 to repair the old one or buying a replacent one on the used market. That is my $0.02.

~Dave

My last gig had a 02R and the one before that had a DM1000... I know what I am missing... and I am missing it... badly...

Another big plus for the 01V96 vs the original 01V is the studio manager support. I frequently mix musicals on mine with 15-20 body mics, floor mics, orchestra micing, and effects playback. When I am working with the full 32 channels, speed of access for parameter is very important to me. I use a laptop with a second monitor connected for 2x 15" monitors running SM under extended desktop. I can have meters and the general layer layout on my left and the patching and individual channel parameters on my right. Now that I mix this way I don't think I could ever go back to the limited screen real estate offered by most boards. Even when I mix on an LS9 or M7CL I usually use a similar set up. Obviously you may not want/need this kind of thing but it is certainly worth considering as a plus for the 96. The 96 is also a full 32 channel board in a way that the original is not since it has the full processing and it includes the ADAT IO as standard. The longer faders are nice too. Anyway, I would say that it is definitely worth upgrading. Keep in mind that 96s are readily available on the used market in the 1200-1500 range if that is an option/interest for you venue.

PS: I am a heavy 01V96 user and absolutely in love with mine so feel free to hit me up with any 96 questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back