Replacement Cycle

So, I have a question since most things do have that.. "If it works, don't f*** with it"-functionality. I just came back to my university after being out for two years and decided to do some inventory and maintenance on our Source Four ERSs. This is because they've been mixed together so that many are a mixture of 575w and 750w parts. Plus with our dimmer doubling the voltage of lamps vary and things are just ... "annoyingly inconsistent" to put it nicely. Anywho. I currently have all the lens tubes removed, shutter housings separated from reflector housings, and lamp bases in a pile to be tested. Looking a the reflectors I've noticed that some look great and are newer (bluish/purple from the backside) others though are more silver and on the inside have a brown/green hue rather than blue. I'm guessing this means they're old and need replaced. The manufacture date on the yolk of these indicates May 1998. I'm assuming 12 years for a reflector that has regular use, high humidity, and moves between different theater spaces, and the occasional outdoor summer stock is a long life? Thoughts?

This nicer reflectors have just been replaced over the last three years, or are newer units (1-2yrs)

Sean22, more important than whether or not they should be replaced solely based on their color and their manufacture date is how bright they still are. I would put a 750w lamp in one of your newer fixtures and put another in one of the older ones. Shoot them both against a wall or cyc from the same distance with the same degree lens tube in each and see how noticeable the brightness difference is between them. If you think it's worth replacing the lenses, replace the lenses, but if the difference in brightness is negligible to you, don't worry about it. A new reflector runs about $67, which for a few fixtures isn't bad, but if you need to refit a large chunk of your inventory, I wouldn't base the purchasing decision on the shade of color you see on the coating of the reflector.

The two factors I would base it on are the brightness of the fixtures and whether or not the reflectors show signs of visible cracks or appear broken in any way. A cracked reflector can probably light as many as a couple more years worth of shows before it becomes shattered (assuming it isn't regularly dropped or bumped around), but you should use your discretion when determining which ones to replace and which ones to leave as is (for now).

If you decide you want new reflectors, BMI, Production Advantage, or any other number of different theatrical suppliers can get them from you. I'd recommend getting them from your local dealer unless you get a much better price online. You may even be able to get a discount if you purchase in bulk.

Thanks Mike. That's been the rule we've been running with. I was just curious if anyone has seen a pattern in their replacment pattern. It's been a ongoing process here... The inventory was a mixture of 575 and 750 parts on various units, have replaced various lenses due to heat fractures and relectors who's coating was just gone. lol, something about a see-through reflector seems like an oxymoron. Many sockets have been replaced as the Rev A, or Rev B ones have burned themselves out. Found some units today from 1996! I know its not "old" but considering all the revisions ETC has made, I'm calling that old.

As far as intensity and color of light are concerned, I'll be able to tell here soon finally. The past if something looked dim, there was lamp issues typically. Like I said, we do have dimmer doublers, but not everything is doubled. So in one rig you might find S4's with:

750w/115v
750w/77v
575w/115v
575wx/115v
550w/77v
550wx77v

Why?? Lord only knows. At this point I think we've finally gotten everything to just the 750w/77v and 550w/77v lamps, but I'm sure lurking in a box somewhere is a lamp that some student will find and use that throws it off again. So, to say the least, I've personally come to accept various color temps from similar units here. Maybe this time we'll be able to get it right... here's hoping! And yes, I have BMI and Barbizon on speed dial :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back