Mixers/Consoles Replacing the fan in a GL2400?

gafftaper

Senior Team
Senior Team
Fight Leukemia
The fan is going out in my mixer. When I turn it on there's a loud grinding sound which sometimes settles down and some times sounds like it stops all together. Is this something I can do fairly easily on my own or do I need to take it in for repair?

Obviously, make sure you're out of warranty before you do anything.
If you do go forward and strip it down be sure to clean everything with inert dusting gas and go over everything to see if anything else is in need of replacement.

It's a fairly basic electronic repair, if you're even somewhat experienced it's not hard.
I would not recommend stripping down a console as your first major project though.

Thanks Phil. It seems pretty straight forward, just never cracked one open before.

Just keep your screws organized and take pictures as you go if anything looks complicated.

Good old sharpie for labeling connections doesn't hurt either :).

Obviously make sure you're not writing on something supersensitive or anything... but that's not hard to sort out

Changing a fan is not a complex task.

Be careful when doing more advanced repairs that pen washes off when you solvent wash the board... (Experience speaking here...)

Obviously, make sure you're out of warranty before you do anything.
If you do go forward and strip it down be sure to clean everything with inert dusting gas and go over everything to see if anything else is in need of replacement.

I have heard that if you're cleaning a fan with compressed air, stick a pen in it so it won't move. Otherwise, the fan can spin too fast and damage itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back