Maintenance what's your favorite reRTFM moment

jtweigandt

I brought home 2 non responsive Blizzard Propar V12 fixtures for diagnosis/repair.. they had stopped responding to DMX
I walked through the various modes and programs to assure they were producing light in all colors. Tried various re sets of DMX address etc. Expecting the worst.
These have been "down" for months awaiting time to "repair" Turns out they got knocked out of Stage mode by someone with fumbly button fingers. (thankfully not during one of my shows)
They were working fine.. just doing what they had been told. Admittedly easier to figure out on a tabletop with a manual open on the computer, not 12 feet in the air in the dark with the display invariably upside down.

Now ask me for the Maytag front loader story... it's a doozy.

I brought home 2 non responsive Blizzard Propar V12 fixtures for diagnosis/repair.. they had stopped responding to DMX
I walked through the various modes and programs to assure they were producing light in all colors. Tried various re sets of DMX address etc. Expecting the worst.
These have been "down" for months awaiting time to "repair" Turns out they got knocked out of Stage mode by someone with fumbly button fingers. (thankfully not during one of my shows)
They were working fine.. just doing what they had been told. Admittedly easier to figure out on a tabletop with a manual open on the computer, not 12 feet in the air in the dark with the display invariably upside down.

Now ask me for the Maytag front loader story... it's a doozy.
In 24 years of managing a regional audio/LX shop, I'd estimate that about 50% of the cables in the "fix me" bin were functional and in good physical condition. Usually they were used with something NOT in good shape or otherwise defective and it was guilt by connectification.

In 24 years of managing a regional audio/LX shop, I'd estimate that about 50% of the cables in the "fix me" bin were functional and in good physical condition. Usually they were used with something NOT in good shape or otherwise defective and it was guilt by connectification.

Similarly, I cannot tell you how many lights I've "repaired" by pulling the bad powercon whip and replacing it with a good one.

Reminded of this recently, but multiple instances of "bad lights" during focus regarding any form of ERS. A lot of technicians try to tell me it's a bad reflector. My first question is usually- what's the lamp code. More often than not it's an extended life lamp when everything else is limped with standard life lamps. Sadly most have no idea what the code actually means even if it's just an X at the end of the HPL code.

Reminded of this recently, but multiple instances of "bad lights" during focus regarding any form of ERS. A lot of technicians try to tell me it's a bad reflector. My first question is usually- what's the lamp code. More often than not it's an extended life lamp when everything else is limped with standard life lamps. Sadly most have no idea what the code actually means even if it's just an X at the end of the HPL code.
Although I have seen at least one source four with the first surface reflective stuff flaked and curled like a bunch of miniature potato chips. Assume it was from a lamp that underwent Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly

Although I have seen at least one source four with the first surface reflective stuff flaked and curled like a bunch of miniature potato chips. Assume it was from a lamp that underwent Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly
I have seen, and replaced, a number of reflectors in various poor states of being whether it is Source 4's, Shakespeare's or any older 6x fixture. Generally, though, since reflectors in most fixtures are rated to at least 7-10 years of "normal" use and that the definition of is much more lamp on time than many of the venues this occurs in will see the reflector is usually down the list from the lamp or even a console level curve (a lot of these venues just recycle the last show file rather than building a new patch from an actual template file). At least unless the technician hears glass rattling around in the body or adding friction to the shutters as the result of RUD. It becomes a RTFM moment for me because even the ones heading up elex in smaller local venues often have no idea of the difference in output between a standard life and extended life lamp; that being the intensity and color temperature. Of course, ETC provides a pretty good chart of these for all the various HPL voltages and wattages.... in the manual. :) ETA: I'll admit though it can be confusing to understand the differences between "older" lamp codes like GLA and GLC since it can be a bit more of a trip to internet land to find manuals for the instruments using those and properly outlining ALL the differences.

On the other hand, one has to put some of this blame back on ETC for Making HPL stand for three wattages, five voltages, and three different lamp lifes.

And the latest... got a message we needed a new air compressor... Failed during last show and they brought in a loaner. Went over today at lunch.. fired it up...
quick connect on the tool end wasn't self sealing, so they never saw the tank pressure build.. Turned the hose around... other end self sealed..
Pressure came up right away.. fixed.. but we'll get a new hose I guess. or at least a new end. Not RTFM but I guess the younguns have all been raised in a "cant be fixed" world.

There's a veterinary joke about the cross eyed cow and using the wrong end of the hose.... maybe it's that knowlege base they were lacking.

And the latest... got a message we needed a new air compressor... Failed during last show and they brought in a loaner. Went over today at lunch.. fired it up...
quick connect on the tool end wasn't self sealing, so they never saw the tank pressure build.. Turned the hose around... other end self sealed..
Pressure came up right away.. fixed.. but we'll get a new hose I guess. or at least a new end. Not RTFM but I guess the younguns have all been raised in a "cant be fixed" world.

There's a veterinary joke about the cross eyed cow and using the wrong end of the hose.... maybe it's that knowlege base they were lacking.
You bring up an interesting and relevant point: we've gone 2 full generations of accepting irreparable stuff without question. Other than a car or major appliance, most of the time consumers will simply replace an entire item over one failed part. The result is 1/4 of our population doesn't even think about getting something repaired, let alone repair it themselves. Contrast with the relatively small hand full of "right to repair" folks who see it as a gawd-given right to attempt repairs on stuff they bought.

Not just the kids, it’s the companies too. We had a vacuum where the roller stopped rolling. Was still under warranty so we called the company and asked for the new part. Pop out the roller brush, maybe throw in a new belt, easy peasy. Rest of the unit was totally fine. Their response was cut the power cord, send us a photo, and we’ll ship you a new one. No option to fix it, didn’t have just the parts. Guy on the phone seemed totally befuddled that I would even want to fix it. Probably cheaper for them in the long run to produce the whole thing.

Now get off my lawn.

Not just the kids, it’s the companies too. We had a vacuum where the roller stopped rolling. Was still under warranty so we called the company and asked for the new part. Pop out the roller brush, maybe throw in a new belt, easy peasy. Rest of the unit was totally fine. Their response was cut the power cord, send us a photo, and we’ll ship you a new one. No option to fix it, didn’t have just the parts. Guy on the phone seemed totally befuddled that I would even want to fix it. Probably cheaper for them in the long run to produce the whole thing.

Now get off my lawn.
The issue is most of these companies don’t have a process for this because all production is done overseas. They don’t stock a single part in the US or selling territory- just whole products already packaged. I ran into this with a bike. Someone attempted to steal it by twisting the U-lock open and failed. They instead crushed a portion of the aluminum frame instead. The manufacturer didn’t carry any parts in the US. My only option was to go to a different shop that specifically does frame up builds and have the rest of parts transferred to a new one from a manufacturer that only does frames.

Similarly, working for a few years in architectural lighting controls one of our manufacturers’ lines that previously had all relay panel logic board parts individually available no longer did so. One job site had a bunch of boards with screens that had failed touch capacitance or backlight (I mean after 17 years it wasn’t unexpected) Previously you could replace just the screen; only requiring you undo four screws and lift it from the pin holders and push the new one down into it and replace the screws. Simple. No, not anymore. You need to order the entire logic board. Logic boards being their entirely own part number was also fun because they would ship separately from the panel. Not great when their production was 9 months behind and customers were waiting to get their already installed panels operational (at time of sale boards were listed as available).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back