Requesting something

hhslights

I have a friend at another school in my district and he has been talking to his TD about starting to use vectorworks. He got into looking I guess and discovered the educational version of vectorworks and now wants a computer to run that at the school. He talked to his TD about somehow obtaining a computer though the district and since his TD is new he has no idea how to go about this.

My friend then asked me if I knew anything about the process. I would ask my TD but his wife just had a baby and he wont be back for another week. If anyone has any experience with requesting this type of thing from a school district, could you please explain how your school district handles this or how school districts would normally handle this?

Every school or district has to have some type of IT dept. In some schools it may only be a teacher with additional training. Whoever that person is is the one the TD needs to make the request to. If he isn't sure that is he can simply ask the Principal and he will head you in the proper direction.

All I know about requesting things from admin is unless you have your director/TD talk to admin, it will never happen...

If I walk up to admin and say "I want X" they'll laugh.

If my TD walks up to admin and says "We want X", they'll laugh, then consider it...

Admin typically assumes students are stupid...until they go brag to the state about their testing scores...

Every school or district has to have some type of IT dept. In some schools it may only be a teacher with additional training. Whoever that person is is the one the TD needs to make the request to. If he isn't sure that is he can simply ask the Principal and he will head you in the proper direction.

Agreed. Having the Dept. Head[the TD in this case] will usually have to request the computers to be purchased. Last year when my high school purchased two computers, it had to come out of the Drama Dept. money, but we got them extremely discounted due to the school district buying in large volume. The process of obtaining them was lengthy...many emails back and forth spec'ing the computers out with the IT department, and making sure they will work.

AND, if and when you get the computers, lock them up. Not just in a booth, or an office, or the likes. A locked cabinet that only the TD has the key is necessary I believe. Two computers were stolen over the summer from my highschool's booth, carefully put away inside a cabinet, however it was unlcoked. Someone really was rooting around in there looking for stuff.

Good luck :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back