Researching Power Distro Purchase

Oh wow that makes lot of sense now. thank you so much for that information.

So, correct me if i am not understanding this correctly but, you would use twist lock connections when power is being pulled over 2 or more phase lines?

Yes to twist-lok. There are a variety of locking connectors for single pole, single phase 2 pole and 3 phase uses, up to 100 amps if memory serves. They also get expensive in the larger amp ratings.

NEMA has standard plugs thru 60A. I'm guessing there wasn't enough demand over that. Industrial plugs can get higher amperage, and cams can easily go to, I think, 600A.

Whirlwind is another manufacturer to look at. All UL listed too. This is more than specified in the OP, but it gives one the idea.

Attachments

• Distro-Small.jpg
    Distro-Small.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 165
http://www.dimmerrack.com

has so sorts of varieties ... I'd recommend cs style inlet easy to get commercially made adaptors, easy to get more cable for one time needs, see any construction rental house united, sunbelt etc.

also very easy to get cs feed from any size commercial generator from any of the above, 50a twistlock is generally used standard for r.v. hookups or 14-50 but that's again an easy adaptor.

as an fyi all cable you will see from these rental routes is going to be 6/4 ... not going to debate cable gauge just saying that's the standard ...

http://www.dimmerrack.com

has so sorts of varieties ... I'd recommend cs style inlet easy to get commercially made adaptors, easy to get more cable for one time needs, see any construction rental house united, sunbelt etc.

also very easy to get cs feed from any size commercial generator from any of the above, 50a twistlock is generally used standard for r.v. hookups or 14-50 but that's again an easy adaptor.

as an fyi all cable you will see from these rental routes is going to be 6/4 ... not going to debate cable gauge just saying that's the standard ...
Dimmerrack.com and a few other supply houses are not listed workshops, meaning that technically their products do not meet electrical code (NEC2017 requires all portable distros to be listed). Additionally, there have been reports of poor workmanship from shops like these, meaning the device you get back may not be safe.

Listed equipment is available from Whirlwind, Motionlabs, Lex, and a few other companies. It is the safer route - both in a code-compliance sense, as well as possibly a life safety sense.

In addition to the Listed companies mention above there is also:
http://www.acpowerdistribution.com/
My guess is they are more used in film and TV production but one interesting series they have is the EV series with mini-cam(Series 15) units.
One thing about the good companies, the breakers they use are designed to be used as switches and they are 100% rated.
The cheaper breakers from the home center are not suitable for use as a switch and have to be derated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back