Revolving Panels that Fly!

JVV

Hi there,
I am trying to determine if its possible to get hardware that will allow a 4'wide x 16' tall panel to revolve, but it also needs to be rated to to fly. Does such a product already exist? The panels will be made up of two stock 4x8 Hollywood flats, double sided with 1/4" luaun.

Has anyone ever attempted to do something like this before?

Thanks,
JVV

Do you mean like a 4 wide 16' tall panel held vertically and allowed to swivel? Lots of rated swivel hardware for rigging. http://www.chicagohardware.com/swivels.htm has examples. Bridle it at the top and use one of those. I'm just not sure if that's what you mean. Rosebrand imports Wahlberg automation devices - look for DMX rotator. 110 pound limit which maybe not just two stock 4 x 8s but possible to do 4 x 16 under that weight limit.

Sorry this is probably not the exact answer you're looking for.

Can I back up a little? There are some inherent problems with hanging wood-framed flats from the top. Gravity wants to pull all the joinery apart. Wooden scenery should always be rigged from the bottom, with rated hardware attached to the bottom rail, and wire rope run up through the framing of the flat (if hollywood style) or behind the framing (if broadway style) and through "keeper" hardware at the top. Hopefully that's already your plan (or your flats are steel framed). If not, please stop now and seek in-person advice from a rigging professional.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back