Conventional Fixtures RGB Mixing Quick reference?

Sylak

I was wondering if anybody here has made an approximate quick-reference for RGB Colour mixing on a cyc using conventional fixtures? I would like to have one to keep by the console and have a quick reference for basic colours (cyan, magenta, etc) as well a few harder ones to make (orange, deep purples, yellows etc) i used to use an HTML colour reference in high school and it was somewhat accurate, but the values were in hex and sometimes didn't come out correctly.

Thanks for your help

It'd be a little hard because values are going to change based on your instrument type, lamp wattage, gel's used ect.

I generally throw my cyc lights on handles and mix by eye. Remembering our color theory R+G=Amber G+B=Cyan R+B=Magenta.

As Grog12 said, results will vary, but a page like Color Mixer Tool - ColorTools.net | or similar is a good educational tool. There's also a handy iPhone app: DMX Color Mixer for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store .

For cheaters :twisted:, attached is an Excel workbook I've tweaked, from one found here: ChromaKinetics.com.

AllGelsScreenCap.jpg

EDIT: See also this thread http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting-electrics/14862-rgb-cyc.html, especially this post. Sure, use the console's built-in color picker, but first learn how to do it by hand. You'll be a better designer/programmer for it.

Attachments

• AllGels2short.xls.zip
    85.6 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
thanks guys. I realise that colour mixing will always vary, but I wa slooking for a quick-ballpark estimation (and i think i got more than even that from derekleffew's excel sheet) that i can stick next to the light board in our new treatre for refrence.

@derekleffew: I'm planning on not even messing around with the Ion's automated colour mixer, partially cause i'm not confident with the console (yet) and partially because I completely agree with your thoughts about competency levels and mixing colours

Users who are viewing this thread

Back