"Riding" Levels in Qlab

anshu

Hi,
I have a question about Qlab. My spaces just went to new iMac systems with Motu output boxes which are great. I am wondering about a way to ride the levels for preshow music? My sound mixes are getting fairly complex and I usually now have a few inputs skipping the board and going straight to the amps, and am being forced to relocate the the actual sound board in a non convenient place. Is there any way within the actual software to bump up or take down a "master level" to compensate for bodies in the room? Keep in mind these shows are run by one person....

Thanks!
Anshu

Try looking in the Preferences pane under Audio, I vaguely remember seeing some "volume" sliders in there. Not that convenient though.

You could make a group that fires all children simultaneously that contains short fade cues that raise the volume for every cue, and a matching group that lowers the volume.

By repeatedly calling those cues, you could have a rudimentary mixing system, but I'd strongly suggest keeping at least some sort of control over your sound with the operator.

I had a machine die during a show, and it started making a very nasty stuttering noise out all the outputs. Having at least a mute switch handy was rather convenient.

What about using the volume up/down buttons on the keyboard itself? From System Preferences, you can turn off the volume change noise.

Last edited:
Indeed the volume buttons dont work. But I wonder if you could make a series of "triggered" shortcuts that would fade up and down a relative level on the "preshow" group. Seems like a lot of work though......

Indeed the volume buttons dont work. But I wonder if you could make a series of "triggered" shortcuts that would fade up and down a relative level on the "preshow" group. Seems like a lot of work though......

You might try looking at this Add/Subtract Levels Script or this Set Master Level Script. Both scripts allow you to change the volume. A word of warning though: One changes the master volume. This will change all of your levels.

One thing that i do in qlab when I'm doing on the fly stuff is I will put everything, all my cues in a single folder then outside that folder put a fade that fades all the way out. I use this as a fail safe if I need to stop music so I don't use esc and get the horrible chop.

You might be able to do this with a series of fades, have one for every few decibels. However I dont know for sure wether this will fade the group as a master or set every track in the folder to the level of the fade. (i.e. if you have 2 tracks mixed one at -5db and one at -10db and your fade at 0db if it will take both tracks to 0db, because then the mixing element is gone)
might want to try messing around with it.
Addison

In either version of Qlab there is a master fader for the over all output.

Go to your sound patch and click edit device on the device that you're using as your output. In there you'll find a master fader. Bump it up or down as needed... it works differently depending on the version though.

In Qlab 1 if you set it down to -10 dB (just as an example) each individual cues master will still say 0.0 but it will be - 10 dB... if that makes sense.

In Qlab 2 if you set the master to - 10 dB (again, example) every individual sound cue master is set to -10 dB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back