Rigging FUBAR

MPowers

I recently got back from a rigging inspection that ....... well ...... left me almost speechless, and for those of you who know my tendency toward voluminous verbosity, that is rare indeed. I didn't know whether to laugh, cry or run away.

I won't reveal where is it, no point. The good news is after receiving the inspection report, the entire system will be demo'ed and replaced starting in June. In the mean time we have chained off the electrics, the border batten and removed the loose hanging objects and tied down the moving line sets. Still scary but that's all we were allowed to do for now.

Take a look for yourselves.
https://picasaweb.google.com/mptecdir/RiggingFUBAR#

Someone clearly fancies themselves a welder.

Oh my lord! I'm glad it was a routine inspection, and not a death investigation. Looks like you got to it in time!

I almost started chuckling a number of times as I looked through those, then I stopped and reminded myself that there have been students/parishioners/amateur actors running around underneath all this, possibly for decades. Glad you caught it in time!

..... Was this a school or pro theatre? ...... I was curious of the experience level.

A High School in very rural farm country, circa 1959. People there are all used to "doing for themselves". They weld their own tractors and pumps and haul logs and etc. 20-30 years ago someone said it would be nice if the curtains went up and down or the stage lights could be reached without a ladder, so they did it. Some kids dad probably made the floor blocks out in the parking lot. The "counterweights" are actually wire guide, so they got the "idea" and made an effort to copy it. To be generous, a lot of the hardware dates to a time when none of us paid attention to the use of "rated" parts, or D:d ratio or......

Last edited:
I still think the chain belongs around the doors to the building.

I...A....they.....wow.....how did....

...Never mind...

Always wondered what happened to all of those window weights out there. I used to use those to make boat anchors when I was younger. My personal favorite are the swingset chain bridle... those are nice. The sheaves that are held in with stove bolts is also a nice touch.

The sad thing is that a lot of the stuff is actually over engineered, however with MASSIVE failure points where they completely dropped the ball.

The sad thing is that a lot of the stuff is actually over engineered, however with MASSIVE failure points where they completely dropped the ball.

I totally agree, the most fascinating part is that some aspects are sort of clever and well done, while others are amazing they didn't kill someone within seconds of being installed.

Don't try this at home kids!

So...... I am guessing that the large duct taped sandbags hanging over an open door should be replaced with a 5 gallon bucket from Home depot, rope tied to the handle? right? then filled with loose nuts and bolts for the counterweight?

Reminds me of the phrase "All this place needs is a good coat of fire !".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back