Rigging Inspection Question

TPKelley

Hello, I was recently put into a theatre management position at a High School after my predecessor suddenly quit. As such I have had a lot of catching up to do, because while I'd taken theatre classes when I was in school I was never involved in the technical side of things.

Reading these forums has been invaluable in helping me get up to speed, but I learned only a few days ago that the city has paid for a rigging inspection to be done soon. I'm pretty clear on lighting and sound, but barring basic safety measures (like announcing that you're flying a baton in) and re-weighting the batons my knowledge of rigging is extremely limited.

While I understand that inspections exist to solve safety issues, if their is anything I can do in advance of the inspection to increase my odds of passing, I will. I have cleaned up and organized the area around the fly system, gotten rid of the cobwebs and such; You know - all the things an organization minded person might do, but none of the things a technical person would do. But if their is any other things you can think of which a layman like myself could do in advance of the inspection to help prevent my school from having to pay for another inspection at a future date I would appreciate your input.

One major thing is to have the MSDS up to date for all equipment and soft goods in the space. Make sure you have the fire treatment for any soft goods included in the paper work. Just go through the space and if you see anything that is glaring wrong (something hung with tie line or no safety on a light) fix that, but let them do the major leg work to find the stuff. To me knowledge and understanding, they won't close you down unless you have some dire and major issues (which I am sure you would be able to notice.) They give you a couple months (again as I understand the process) to fix it before they come back. They will give you a binder with pictures listing everything that needs to be done and looked at.

Do you have a purchase system or motorized? If purchase make sure the spreader plates have been used and the system is balanced. Check either if the wires or ropes have major wear on them that they shouldn't have. Again though, no need to kill yourself trying to find all the issues, but having a jump on some of the easier ones is always a good thing.

I'll just need to go to the front office to get the MSDS and other paperwork so that should be fine. We have a purchase system, I'm going to fly everything in and check for any think like frayed ropes and wires. From what I've seen so far there are no seriously dangerous looking things in the setup. I can balance the system by re-weighting the fly ropes, right? And, what's a spreader plate? There are a few fly ropes that look worse for wear, but I'll let the inspector decide weather they need to be replaced.

Spreader plates are flat metal plates that go between bricks in the arbor, usually every couple of feet. They keep the arbor rods evenly spaced and help to keep the bricks from spilling should the arbor ever crash.

Rigging inspections are for safety issues, so you are correct. Typically they inspect the machinery of the systems and look for wear and tear, broken, or missing pieces. They will also look to see if it was installed properly or improperly modified. When it comes to operation, I have found they do not shut down because a poorly placed spreader plate or loose rope lock. They should offer instruction and help correct those"minor" issues. It may/should make their report, but those operational issues are usually lees of a concern during an inspection as opposed to spotting major deficiencies. Listen carefully if they offer advise. Ask questions and see how much they will answer.

Any idea who is doing the inspection?

Remember, they are there to inspect the system not you. So it's not a matter of you passing or failing. Explain your situation to them and that you want to learn as much as possible from them (and let them know that if you get to be a nuisance they can tell you to go stand in the corner and you won't be offended). With luck it is Texas Scenic, one of the most respected companies around.
Oh yeah, it's batten not baton (ducking and running from the pedant police).

Don't do anything to the system that you don't know how to do. An inspection is not a test. The inspector should work with you to help you both operate the system in a safe way and ensure that the system can operate safely. You should not have to get ready for it. Spend the day with the inspector... Ask questions. They will be happy to have a building Operator who is interested.

One thing that pops into my mind was something I read or heard somewhere before- don't clean industriously beneath the blocks or at least if you must make sure you take note of any metal shavings and either find an origin or leave that for the inspector and make sure he or she is aware of it. I think that might've been in Jay Glerum's book actually. When stuff goes wrong, sometimes the evidence can be in the dust beneath the arbors.

Good luck in the job! I took a similar path to managing a HS space. One thing I found is exactly what JohnD and Footer just said- people with knowledge are very eager to impart their knowledge if you are willing to learn. There are some brilliant minds in this field.

When you say "...the city has paid for a rigging inspection..." it means someone is coming in to inspect the system, not you or how well maintained it is. You definitely need some training if responsible for operating and supervising the rigging, but I feel inspection is simple maintenance.

USITT guideline for this requires the inspector provide training - item 8 below:

"USITT has developed a Rigging Safety Initiative with a gift from Founding Sponsor J.R. Clancy. The program will provide free or reduced cost rigging inspections to public and private school corporations. Schools can apply for a grant to receive a rigging inspection from an approved rigging contractor.

USITT is seeking established rigging contractors to join in this worthy program by providing inspection services. Approved contractors would agree to the following:
1. Contractor must already provide rigging inspection, repair and maintenance services. USITT wants to match schools with experienced, knowledgeable riggers in their area.
2. Inspections must be completed by an ETCP Certified Rigger – Theatre. A copy of the ETCP certification must be on file at the USITT office before the contractor’s name will be added to the approved list.
3. Contractor must become or remain a USITT member. Contractor must either be a Supporting, Sustaining or Contributing Member or have at least three (3) of its employees be Individual Members. Each independently owned office of a firm must be listed separately.
4. Contractor must agree to the established inspection fee ahead of time based on completed application and support documents from educational facility. There is a standard fee paid to all contractors.
5. Rigging contractor agrees to supply two inspection reports of the facility to the parties listed on the application and an electronic inspection report to USITT.
6. Contractor agrees that payment will be made after the inspection and training is complete and report is submitted. The electronic report will prompt the release of funds from USITT.
7. Contractor must agree to provide the final inspection report in the format provided by USITT. USITT’s form includes the minimum information needed by the school. Inspector is encouraged to provide additional information as needed to educate the staff members.
8. Contractor agrees that in addition to the inspection, they will provide a 4 hour safety training course for up to 8 staff and students at the school.
9. Monetary contribution to the fund IS NOT a requirement for approval to provide inspections."

This was current as of at least June 2011.

To elaborate, a rigging inspection is not like a fire inspection where they are seeing if you are complying with codes in your operations. It is more in the realm of maintenance--looking at all the mechanical parts to ensure that they are in good condition. Like a regular check-up on your car.

To add on to Bill: whether through this inspection or separately, it is critical that you become well-trained on the safe operations and best practices of the fly system. Little details (like spreader plates) can mean the difference between life and death.

Congrats on the new gig!

Sorry for the delay in responding...

Thank you, everyone, for the information. It's not Texas Scenic, I forget at this moment what the name was, but it's a local company that has also added light fixtures before and trained the student employees on their use. I hadn't thought about this in about and a week because whoever was supposed to call me to schedule the inspection hasn't yet, so I'm just waiting for the call. I've taken all of your tips, and I feel that I'm as ready as I need to be, but someone is spinning their wheels in this. (and I hope to got it's not me)

Thank you for explaining that it's not a pass/fail kind of test. In my old job inspections carried the looming possibility of getting shut down or fired. (food service)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back