Rigging MR 16 strip lights to hang Vertical

robyn.w

I have a project coming up that needs to have L&E MR 16 Strips hang vertically from a line set where it can fly in and out during the show. The dilemma is that we cannot use schedule 40 pipe. I saw at a concert a few years back a special bracket (picture attached) that was attached to the end of the strip lights where the trunnions are attached. The bracket has cables bridled up to a chain motor. We would have the pick go to the line set.

If anyone has any advice or ideas on how to accomplish this task, it would be most helpful.

Attachments

• Image_20221207_162530_747.jpeg
    Image_20221207_162530_747.jpeg
    543.9 KB · Views: 164
It wouldn't be to hard to rig something like that or to get a piece of plate steel to do that. Only issue there is spin when you fly it. How many units are you flying? Is there a specific real reason why you can't just hang them on a taildown?

Reactions: Van
It wouldn't be to hard to rig something like that or to get a piece of plate steel to do that. Only issue there is spin when you fly it. How many units are you flying? Is there a specific real reason why you can't just hang them on a taildown?
I had the same concern in regards to spinning. I have a bigger concern about suspending the entire unit from one end. Those holes are intended to support the unit when lying horizontally on the deck or being hung horizontally from clamps on each end. maybe if you attached to the bottom, ran the cable up through another plate attached o the top hole. and figure out a way to bridle it so it wont spin.

I had the same concern in regards to spinning. I have a bigger concern about suspending the entire unit from one end. Those holes are intended to support the unit when lying horizontally on the deck or being hung horizontally from clamps on each end. maybe if you attached to the bottom, ran the cable up through another plate attached o the top hole. and figure out a way to bridle it so it wont spin.
Ya, I had the same thought. You probably don't want to keep those things in tension, compression would be much better... as it always is.

You should also put a very hard eye on the trunions to see if they can support any side loading like that. About half of mine could, but the other half are just a very flimsy piece of bent steel. Works great as a foot, but couldn't support anything hanging it vertically.

You should also put a very hard eye on the trunions to see if they can support any side loading like that. About half of mine could, but the other half are just a very flimsy piece of bent steel. Works great as a foot, but couldn't support anything hanging it vertically.
Hanging iron vs trunnion. Different uses, different build quality. They should have never put clamp holes in trunions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back