rigging question - sort of

len

Client wants to string lights over a patio (over the area bound by the red lines in the attached photo). There does not appear to be any permanent places to attach anything. What would you use as an upright or would you just walk away from this altogether?

Attachments

• Danada Outside .jpg
    Danada Outside .jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 454
Is it a permanent installation or something temporary?
Is it safe to assume the lights would be something like chinese lanterns and not PRG Big Boys?

Sorry, temporary install. Yes, string lights (i.e., christmas tree lites, etc.).

Can you set things on the corner of the deck? I'd probably do 4 truss towers with a nicely weighted base just to keep a professional clean look. It's over kill for small stuff like though.

I am going to make a couple assumptions. I assume this is for some kind of party? I assume you need the lights above head high? It seems to me you could do this with some DJ-style crank stands as long as they get tall enough. This would probably be cheaper to rent than truss. You would need some good sandbags on the bottom, and probably more than just one in each corner, but it should be fine. If all we are talking about is something like C7 strings or fairly light strings, it isn't a lot of weight. Biggest concern would be tension on the strings.

I am going to make a couple assumptions. I assume this is for some kind of party? I assume you need the lights above head high?

Correct on both.

I've tried a couple other things, but no matter what, you need anchors lines (guy lines, etc.) as the tension ends up pulling whatever, down. I need to get to the venue and see what the clearance around the deck is, or if there are trees, etc. that I can anchor the verticals to. I'm thinking pipe and base, which I can elevate to 14' from wherever. These crazy florists come up with ideas and expect me to make them happen, and this florist sends a lot of business my way every year. Fortunately, the event isn't until next June.

Have you thought about using a party tent frame without the tent?
I found a 10'x20' party tent, with roof and sidewalls for ~$120 available on [URL='http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002Z71I5C/ref=asc_df_B002Z71I5C2074525?smid=A1GZVIOK3VJCOP&tag=nextagusmp0381477-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B002Z71I5C"]Amazon[/URL]
While it may not be the most elegant solution, you'd end up with a nice, windowed tent to use on future gigs.

Have you thought about using a party tent frame without the tent?
(snip)
While it may not be the most elegant solution, you'd end up with a nice, windowed tent to use on future gigs.

Yeah, I doubt the florist would go for that. They bill themselves as very elegant. I'm thinking the florist is going to be making some railings out of flower garlands, lots of tulle and other fabric, etc. The outdoor furniture budget alone is about $10K.

Post holes sound like a good idea. I can probably rent an auger for about $100 a day, or less. Maybe I can do a temp install type thing and sell this repeatedly thru the venue.

If you can tie off or otherwise fasten to the deck or that wall it might solve your anchoring problem.

I would suggest using 3/4" or 1" thin wall electrical pipe, painted flat black going vertical at each corner. Use black cable across the top and angled to the ground with stakes or screw in anchor, much like a frame of a party tent without a top or center post. Add turnbuckles to get tension. At night the post should disappear. I would also use LED Christmas lights (less power) with black or dark green wires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back