Right Glue/Sizing for 25 oz. velour?

Chris Chapman

I'm building "Into the Woods" right now and am attempting an interesting approach to the surface of my platforms. We retired our old softgoods this year, and I'm planning on draping and covering the platforms with the old traveler, and then painting. The Velour will crush nicely, does some fun stuff with paint (we did tests already for blending, texturing, etc.) and are prepping the application.

My original plan was to use a regular glue/sizing mix applied to the platform lids to glue the backside of the velour down. The plan being when the show is over to pull it right off, like old dutching on flats. BUT since this is 15 year old velour, my concern is when we strike, I'm going to be left with shredded velour glued to all of my platform lids.

I think a glue solution (ha pun!) is needed in attaching the velour because I have cast members walking all over it and I don't want it shifting under foot.

Thoughts?

You may want to try contact cement. You can get a gallon of Weldwood for about $40 in the non-flammable variety. If it works for cork, veneer, paper, cloth, etc. - it should work for your application. I've used it to make many a cork board. I also think gluing it to 1/4 lauan plywood is an excellent idea (or 1/4 masonite).

Often the nap threads are just short individual threads trapped in the weave of the base fabric, and even gaffe tape on the backside can pull the nap out of the mesh. My guess would be that gluing velour to sheet goods would result in a very fuzzy sheet good after the peeling was attempted.

Approach it the same easy you do a deck cloth... Stretch and tack it at the sides. The bit of paint that soaks through will hold it enough.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back