Right Haze Machine

np18358

My school is looking at purchasing a haze machine. It is for an 850 seat theatre, and will be used twice a year for each musical, and for a few one-off dance shows/ music concerts. We are looking to spend about 1000$, but could go up to 1500$, so something in the DF-50 range won't work. The stage has a proscenium opening of 32H by 48W. We previously have used a Chavuet Hurricane 2, but a single one did not produce enough haze, and I was not satisfied with the density of the haze. I found it to be very thick, and more fog like. I would really like DMX Control, but its absence is not a non-sell. Also, i cannot buy used equipment. Fire Detectors aren't a concern, they are heat, not particle.
Some machines I have considered:
Ultratec Radiance
Le Maitre Neutron XS (Though this looks very similiar to the Chavuet, and I wonder if it is at all similiar on the inside)
I looked at Starlight and Magic Fog and Haze Machines: Assortment of Machines and Supplies and some of their products interest me, namely the "Professional Hazer", as it looks similar to a DF-50, and uses a compressor. Also the "Vision" machine, and the "HZ550 Pro Stage Hazer" look like possible contenders. I was wondering if people had used them, and if so their thoughts about the company.
As an absolute last choice, I would get 2 Hurricanes, but I would rather not.

Thanks!

Ok. Thanks. How exactly did you make the hazer? Is it something that could be done easily, or should it not be attempted. I would really like to try that, and it sounds relatively cheap. Also, I think I remeber reading somewhere that there were problems with using mineral oil. Am I mistaken?
EDIT: Actually i just did some research and realized that most oil-based haze fluid is made from mineral oil. Sorry. :)

Last edited:
You should find a way to demo different hazers in your space - check with your local dealer. There will be a density difference with an oil-based hazer versus a water-based hazer. You should also check these types of fluids to see how your fire suppression system reacts to them and speak with your fire marshal about any limitations to using haze. We use Base Hazers for our big shows, and I imagine 1 would be fine for your space - especially if you run it in advance of doors. We accompany our hazers with a fan to push the haze more towards the lighting and away from any possible air handlers.

A cheap box store fan will always be worth your time with a hazer.

We have a couple of the radiance touring systems, and I'm sure they'll fill your space with no trouble. They used water based haze, which I prefer from an audience standpoint. The haze quality (in my opinion) isn't quite as good as a df-50, but you get a lot more of it.

Ok. Thanks. How exactly did you make the hazer? think I remeber reading somewhere that there were problems with using mineral oil. Am I mistaken?
EDIT: Actually i just did some research and realized that most oil-based haze fluid is made from mineral oil. Sorry. :)

mineral oil is also known as baby oil. it is only a problem if you use it a lot on a regular basis because it tends to get inside things like projectors and moving fixtures.

to make it take a 1 quarter inch copper tube, inserted through the lid of a5 gallon pail going all the way to the bottom and making one complete loop inside the bottom off the 5 gallon pail. on the bottom of the copper tube, drill 5 very tiny holes about 1/16. in the center of the lid, insert a short section of inch and a half PVC with a tee on the end of it. cover the loop of copper tubing with about 2 inches of mineral oil. connect a air compressor and adjust the air flow. about 10 to 15 pounds should work. add a box fan for directions.

Might be too $$ for you but I've always wanted to look at Look products. They have some novel ideas as far as design and case packaging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back