Control/Dimming Right Tool for the Job - Smartfade vs. ?

We are fitting up a 50'X35' black box space for performance that is primarilly used as a dance studio. We'll be presenting some music, dance and theater to audiences of up to about 100.

Presently have a collection of Lightronics AS series and Elation DP-DMX20L's that provides about 60 channels of dimming. Instruments are presently a mixture of fresnels, pars with some S4 Jr's. I'd expect that sometime in the future we'll want to add some LED wash and perhap some seachangers, and a few good quality moving lights.

Most of the lighting for music / dance / cabaret performances will be done "on the fly", however there will be a couple of book musicals or plays done each year that will call for a cue stack.

My question.... Given the range of uses we're putting this deck to, is the Smartfade ML (with a usb connected Computer) the best compromise for our situation? Never having used one I'm a little concerned about how well it would work for 'busking'. If not, what else?

For use I would 100% go with an ETC Element as budget doesn't appear to be too much of an issue given that fact that you might buy moving lights and seachangers. The smartfade ML probably won't be enough. I do find it funny that all of your dimming is off of DP-DMX20L's. That pretty awesome though I mean you wont really get 60 channels for such a cheap price with anything else.

For use I would 100% go with an ETC Element as budget doesn't appear to be too much of an issue given that fact that you might buy moving lights and seachangers. The smartfade ML probably won't be enough. I do find it funny that all of your dimming is off of DP-DMX20L's. That pretty awesome though I mean you wont really get 60 channels for such a cheap price with anything else.

Just to clarify, initial budget is limited. The ML is at the outside of my budget at this point. Our hope over time is to add LEDs etc.

For doing shows on the fly, I find the the Strand Preset Palette is great to work with on account of the large amount of sliders. It also has the ability to store cues and work with moving lights. Its not something i have ever done, but (i believe) its the same as cueing on any of the Strand boards.

What kind of budget do you have for this? Will volunteers and random people off the street be running the desk or will it always be a dedicated lighting director?

My gut instinct is that an ETC element might be a good solution for you, if your budget allows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back