Ripped Curtain

Applying gaffers tape to a stage curtain is probably the WORST thing one can do to a drape.:( My velour is cringing.

Now Derek, You know that is patently not true,
The WORST thing you can do to a stage curtain is stumble into it while carrying a bucket full of bleach, then taking it outside to dry-off, Or maybe the WORST thing you could do is to point a S-4 right in the middle of it at point blank range and cranking that puppy up to 11.
You could bring a 4ft diameter fan on-stage to help dry a floor you just painted, and forget about the slit-mylar rain curtain they just flew in.
I can think of a lot worse things than putting Gaff tape on a curtain.

Now Derek, You know that is patently not true,
You're right, I mis[-]spoke[/-]typed. I meant to say "putting gafftaper on a curtain...":mrgreen:

Your cited examples sound as though you're not speaking hypothetically.:oops:

You're right, I mis[-]spoke[/-]typed. I meant to say "putting gafftaper on a curtain...":mrgreen:
Oh! By all means I agree then. He's usually covered in Peanut butter and jelly what with those mini-me's he's got, and don't get me started about Seattle-lites and Coffee stains.:rolleyes:

Your cited examples sound as though you're not speaking hypothetically.:oops:

I will only say that I was responsible for only one of the incidents listed. Figuring out which one is up to you.
The others I was merely a witness to.

I am having visions of a supply shelf with wd-40 on one end, a case of gaffer tape in the middle and a large jug of peanut butter on the other.

any tape on the back side of a velour is likely to pull the U shaped pile out from the base weave when you remove the tape. leaving a tape size blank spot on front.

The best bet for a repair of the curtain in question may be to safely get it down and sew on a generous sister patch onto the back side. you may want to enlist the aide of a nearby upholstery shop as they would have a sewing machine that could handel heavy fabric.

when you reinstall the tabs I would swap the stage left tab with the stage right tab. this would put less stress on the repair, as it would then be at the off stage end.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back