Rocket Ship Ride Indicator Light Question

ship

Senior Team Emeritus
Premium Member
My Daughter and I were at the opening weekend of our favorite kid’s amusement park over the weekend. Was the most perfect day ever in that while a little chilly and damp to start, there couldn’t have been more than like 50 other kids at the park = no lines and ride attendants waiting on us to ride. This is great for an almost three year old, last time we were there it was almost a half hour wait to ride the horses amongst other lines and "too many people."
Carnival ride like set up for kids, but permanent location and they are doing amazing new things this year in expanding. I remember going there once when I was like two years old in 1970, and at this point my daughter has been there almost ten times so far in a great place.
Only concern I had was while getting into the ride with the annoying push buttons on the console which lets the kids push the buzzer button. The ride from like the 50's with rocket ships and hilicoptors also had indicator lights on the same panel they were pushing the buzzer on. - the 1950's style rounded dome is still sold. Some of these indicator lamps were missing from some of the ride vehicles. The lenses and lamps were gone in exposing an at least 3/8" dia. hole that the kids in pushing the buzzer button, might stick their finger into also.
Asked and showed the attendant these open indicator lamp sockets on various cars on the ride which I wouldn’t put my Daughter into and the attendant was dismissive... NEC code says 1/4" hole, he explained to me that children can stick their fingers into such indicator lamp socket holes. Believe they were BA-15s lamp sockets. Didn’t debate, just sent an email off to the amusement park. Don’t care about a few ride lamps not working, this is something kids are likely to stick their fingers into.
So, anyone familiar with the lamp socket voltage of the control panel of this ride? It I think could be 12v if transformer for the lights, but more likely given normal shore power for the ride connection it’s 120v that the motor for the ride would like to see a few phases of. Assuming a child’s finger stuck into the lamp socket of an exposed indicator light can in finger short between hot and neutral easier than an adult finger, am I correct in a major safety hazzard?

My Daughter and I were at the opening weekend of our favorite kid’s amusement park over the weekend. Was the most perfect day ever in that while a little chilly and damp to start, there couldn’t have been more than like 50 other kids at the park = no lines and ride attendants waiting on us to ride. This is great for an almost three year old, last time we were there it was almost a half hour wait to ride the horses amongst other lines and "too many people."
Carnival ride like set up for kids, but permanent location and they are doing amazing new things this year in expanding. I remember going there once when I was like two years old in 1970, and at this point my daughter has been there almost ten times so far in a great place.
Only concern I had was while getting into the ride with the annoying push buttons on the console which lets the kids push the buzzer button. The ride from like the 50's with rocket ships and hilicoptors also had indicator lights on the same panel they were pushing the buzzer on. - the 1950's style rounded dome is still sold. Some of these indicator lamps were missing from some of the ride vehicles. The lenses and lamps were gone in exposing an at least 3/8" dia. hole that the kids in pushing the buzzer button, might stick their finger into also.
Asked and showed the attendant these open indicator lamp sockets on various cars on the ride which I wouldn’t put my Daughter into and the attendant was dismissive... NEC code says 1/4" hole, he explained to me that children can stick their fingers into such indicator lamp socket holes. Believe they were BA-15s lamp sockets. Didn’t debate, just sent an email off to the amusement park. Don’t care about a few ride lamps not working, this is something kids are likely to stick their fingers into.
So, anyone familiar with the lamp socket voltage of the control panel of this ride? It I think could be 12v if transformer for the lights, but more likely given normal shore power for the ride connection it’s 120v that the motor for the ride would like to see a few phases of. Assuming a child’s finger stuck into the lamp socket of an exposed indicator light can in finger short between hot and neutral easier than an adult finger, am I correct in a major safety hazzard?

We have similar buttons in our science center, 5v all the way to the control panel. It'd be uncomfortable but not likely dangerous. Definitely against code but only deadly in extreme cases.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

We have similar buttons in our science center, 5v all the way to the control panel. It'd be uncomfortable but not likely dangerous. Definitely against code but only deadly in extreme cases.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Thanks much for the response, while I doubt the ride attendant knew, I knew someone here would know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back