Rolling Low Studwall Platform

heeland

Hi,

Do stud walls make suitable undercarriages for rolling platforms, and if so, are there limits to how low/short they may safely be made for this purpose?

The background to the question follows:

I have been asked to build a large rolling platform (to be used for tap dance routines) in a show. It is in the shape of a half circle having a radius of five (5) feet. Thus it is ten (10) feet along the straight edge (diameter) and five (5) feet deep at its maximum. It is also supposed to be legged up to a height of 16 inches, including the height of the universal casters required to roll it on and off stage.

Naturally the dancers are going to use virtually every square inch of the deck. So a well supported curved edge is in order.

With that in mind, and in order to expedite load-in, I am willing to invest the time and effort necessary to make triscuit tops for the deck which if built properly will handily permit the curved edge to overhang the stud wall by a few inches (well less than one foot, to be sure). It seems to me that it may be about as much work as properly framing out the entire curved edge in a more traditional manner.

However, my online searching does not turn up any information regarding whether stud walls make suitable underpinnings for a *rolling* platform in general, and for a very low/short wall at that. With a 6-inch caster, the stud wall will at most be 10 inches tall (the vertical stud members a mere 7 inches tall). All the online sources I've read so far seem to assume that stud walls are permanently affixed to the floor.

What do you folks say?

As long as it is sufficiently cross-braced, I haven't had any issues with castering studwalls. I would suggest screwing rather than nailing them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back