Rotating Gobo Problems

TheME

I have searched many places on this, and other, forum(s) and have been unable to find a clear solution to this problem. If anyone knows where I can find an answer please point and I will follow.
I have 50ish Clay Paky Alpha Spot 1200 HPEs that have been on tour 11 months out of the year for almost 6.5 years. About 3 or 4 months ago they started having a problem where the rotating gobos were getting stuck then rehoming. It's happened on about +10 individual lights and appears to be a future problem for the rest. After much testing I've come to the conclusion that the rotating gobo holders were getting dirty and thus causing to much friction for the wheel to turn freely.
I have tried multiple methods of cleaning to get the gunk out of the holders but I don't know much about re-lubing the bearing. Someone recommend WD-40 to me but it not made for high heat applications like this. If anyone has a suggestion on what to use or any method of cleaning that would fix this I'm all ears.

Don't use WD-40, while it's great at many things lubrication is not one of them. I would contact Clay Paky, or look in the manuals and see what they recommend.

Definitely contact Clay Paky, as I am sure they would know best. However white lithium grease in small doses (key is small, don't overdo it) has worked for me in lubricating the slliding mechanism that the focus lens sits on for my movers. Not sure if it would work for your bearings or what exact bearings you are talking about, but I might try it on one if you have some sitting around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back