Design Rubber Banding for tying cable to battens?

Scotch

I have a little question regarding what rubber material I can use to string up my cable to my lighting battens.

I am thinking of trying an alternative to electrical tape for my lighting battens to save money and also the environment. I have used the rubber ring and wooden dowell method which I think would work well in my venue.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what rubber I use, is it like car tyre tubing? I know the last tech that worked here tried large rubber bands but found that under heat they becam very brittle very quickly.

Here in NZ, in the past we used old car tubes picked up for free from tire places.

We just got old car tubes , hatchback, saloon, not SUV size.
They last for ages but since rubber and wood both can burn I don't know if your regulations will allow them.

I think they may have been banned in professional theatres here, not sure?

Brent

Wood, rubber, cable ties and tie line all burn, what are you supposed to use? Bailing wire?

Cord Lox work great for us, from DMX to 3-pin.

Car tubes are probably a much cheaper solution, but as mentioned, probably not very safe due to the flammability of the material.

Any reason tie line is not being used? I know its a bit slow, but it is very cheap. If you want the clean look e-tape gives you without the mess, velcro might be an good option. You can buy velcro stips in bulk pretty cheap. There is always something like this... Planet Waves Elastic Cable Ties — 50-pack at Crutchfield.com

Not cheap, but would do what you want.

Also, are you looking for a solution to secure cable to the batten itself or a solution to gather all the swags of cable coming down from a batten into a bundle (or loom).

Any reason tie line is not being used? I know its a bit slow, but it is very cheap. If you want the clean look e-tape gives you without the mess, velcro might be an good option. You can buy velcro stips in bulk pretty cheap. There is always something like this... Planet Waves Elastic Cable Ties — 50-pack at Crutchfield.com

Not cheap, but would do what you want.

Also, are you looking for a solution to secure cable to the batten itself or a solution to gather all the swags of cable coming down from a batten into a bundle (or loom).

I second the tie line and/or Velcro. Velcro is extremely clean and has a longer life than tie line, but tie line is much cheaper and can come in large spools. Just be sure you cut the lengths of tie line into useful sizes. An easy way to measure them is to hold the end in one hand and wrap the tie line down to your elbow and back up to your palm several times, then use a knife to cut through the end you're holding in your palm (cutting away from your hand :D). That length of tie line will hold several average-gauge cables, DMX, XLR, what have you, while leaving room to tie "bunny ears" for security and quick removal.

Tie line. Although we use e-tape all the time, too.

We started using Matth-Ties a couple of years ago.

proxy.php

We ordered more recently but the supplier is backlogged. Apparently Cirque ordered 30,000 for their touring shows and cleaned out all the inventory.

Any reason tie line is not being used? I know its a bit slow, but it is very cheap.

One thought on this, Tie line gets messy when you are making long runs, IMO. The cable always seems to droop because its difficult to pull the cable straight while pulling the tie-line tight. Velcro ought to be a good substitute, but it would be a pain to cary a pile of velcro in the pockets, you might be able to affix velcro loops like rip-ties every foot or so along a batten with a zip tie or something?

Tie-line has always worked well for me in the past. The nice thing about tie-line is that it's so cheap, if you have a sag or droop, just throw another piece of tie line at it.

One thought on this, Tie line gets messy when you are making long runs, IMO. The cable always seems to droop because its difficult to pull the cable straight while pulling the tie-line tight. Velcro ought to be a good substitute, but it would be a pain to cary a pile of velcro in the pockets, you might be able to affix velcro loops like rip-ties every foot or so along a batten with a zip tie or something?

Learn how to tie a clove hitch.
proxy.php

I am personally a double wrap bowtie person. My wife is a clove hitch person. We still get along somehow.

The only time I ever see someone regularly using e-tape in a theatre is when rock n roll types are around. Those guys go through e-tape like no other.

Last edited:
Learn how to tie a clove hitch.
proxy.php

I am personally a double wrap bowtie person. My wife is a clove hitch person. We still get along somehow.

The only time I ever see someone regularly using e-tape in a theatre is when rock n roll types are around. Those guys go through e-tape like no other.

Unless you have a better method than me, tying a clove hitch takes more than 1 hand, which is the problem that e-tape addresses. However, our theatre using e-tape would make sense, seeing as the TD was a union squint doing concerts for several years, and I started off in concert lighting as well... I think they transfer nicely.

Although I am a bowtie fan myself, tying a clove one handed is pretty easy. As a matter of fact, I was taught how to tie it as an uprigger and you had to tie it one handed because you wre holding on with other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back