Running Multiple Projectors with PC

michael s

I want top run a single image across two projectors from a PC to form a backdrop. This is for a community theater, so we cannot afford what the big guys use. Is there any free or low cost software out there that will do this?

Windows extended desktop is the cheapest solution, assuming you have 2 video outputs on your PC. If not, add a Matrox DualHead2Go or TripleHead2Go.

I want top run a single image across two projectors from a PC to form a backdrop. This is for a community theater, so we cannot afford what the big guys use. Is there any free or low cost software out there that will do this?
Another option is to use a pair of VGA over CAT5 converters, this will allow you to put the projectors up to a 150m away from the source. The ones I use are £74 a pair from CPC / Farnell at Preston. You can also run audio over them. The input device that would be plugged into your PC or Laptop VGA output has a THRU so that you can keep the PC monitor in place. it also has stereo line in and out. The out put device at the other end of your CAT5 cable has two VGA outputs so running two projectors is easy. I have used these successfully for many applications, particularly when the projectors have to be flown from a rig.

you will probably need to rent something like a TV-one to do the blend. Probably not real expensive to rent if you can find a little money. There may be software that can do it, but I don't know any off hand.

@michael s , there are a few ways to do this. You will run into several challenges if this is your first attempt.

You have two options for making the wider image, butting the images or blending them. The first is relatively comprehensive, taking two images and aligning them side by side, not requiring additional equipment. However, a seam will be apparent.

The second is blending the two, which requires a slight overlay of the two projected images. This requires blending software. This makes the image better as it hides the seam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back