Saffire Pro40 and Multiplay

NickVon

[EDIT] and second Post Below. I took some doing with some online answer-bases but i think i grasp the layout of the software better.
I think the problem i'm having is how the OS recognizes the Pro40, as I seem to have the same issue with Qlab on the Mac that i have with Multiplay one the PC.
Both programs are only seeing a single device "saffire audio" as an output source, where M-audio FW410 i tested with had options to select 1/2, 3/4, 5/6, Multichan, etc when these programs where opened up

Our theatre recently acquired a Saffire Pro40 by Focusrite. It followed from several threads posted here over the last year or so and some final discussion with our vendors/reps.

I'm looking for some further help from someone who is more familiar with the Saffire Mix Control software as I am having difficulty assigning Multiplay outputs to "software"inputs in the Mix Control, to then Route those inputs to specific outputs to go to our LS9 for specific routing to FX speakers.

Any assistance is helpful and feel to PM is this question is way to involved for a thread.

Currently, I have the Spidif connected to and from the 2TR on the LS9. It is synced and locked at 44.1 wit hte Console being the WC master.

The Spidif out to the TR2 IN on the LS9, is currently the "master Stereo playback" from the PC. I would like to keep it this way.

For a basic start I need to route the Multipay Stereo Pair # 2 to outputs mono3, and mono 4.

I think this is where using the spidif as the basic stereo master and not the "monitor 1/2)" on the Saffire might be screwing me up. Any feedback or comments on a much better way to hook this up; i'm all ears.

NickVon

Last edited:
I think this might have turned more into a Multimedia/Show control Forum post.

Bump never the less with newer info.

I'm not familiar with the term MultiPlay.

EDIT: QLab will see your Pro40 as a single device, BUT the channels are accessible.

Anywho first you have to work in QLab and determine your router settings in there.

For most simple stereo things I simply patch 1:1 where channel 1 is left and channel 2 is right. In Mix Control I use DAW 1 and DAW 2 which are patched directly across from QLab as channel 1 and channel 2 respectively.

In Mix Control I go into my output router section and assign DAW 1 to my left channel (for you analog 3) and DAW 2 to my right channel (analog 4).

Now the thing to keep in mind when working with digital audio is that patches can be split between many ins and outs.

For running stereo tracks from QLab leave everything 1:1 send DAW 1 and DAW 2 to SPDIF 1 and SPDIF2 which will be connected to your board. I would use analog 1 and analog 2 and mirror those settings sending DAW 1 and DAW 2 directly to them in the output router, you don't even need or necessarily want to mess with the mixer section.

Your DAW settings and your QLab channels should match unless you go in and patch differently, but for sanities sake and convenience leave them 1:1.

In your output router section you can take whichever QLab channel you want to send and patch the DAW directly into that output. If your levels are good it works and is very simple.

I'm not familiar with the term MultiPlay.

EDIT: QLab will see your Pro40 as a single device, BUT the channels are accessible.

Anywho first you have to work in QLab and determine your router settings in there.

For most simple stereo things I simply patch 1:1 where channel 1 is left and channel 2 is right. In Mix Control I use DAW 1 and DAW 2 which are patched directly across from QLab as channel 1 and channel 2 respectively.

In Mix Control I go into my output router section and assign DAW 1 to my left channel (for you analog 3) and DAW 2 to my right channel (analog 4).

Now the thing to keep in mind when working with digital audio is that patches can be split between many ins and outs.

For running stereo tracks from QLab leave everything 1:1 send DAW 1 and DAW 2 to SPDIF 1 and SPDIF2 which will be connected to your board. I would use analog 1 and analog 2 and mirror those settings sending DAW 1 and DAW 2 directly to them in the output router, you don't even need or necessarily want to mess with the mixer section.

Your DAW settings and your QLab channels should match unless you go in and patch differently, but for sanities sake and convenience leave them 1:1.

In your output router section you can take whichever QLab channel you want to send and patch the DAW directly into that output. If your levels are good it works and is very simple.

I took another look at this and you are correct, i was able to drag Qlab channels to the single saffire audio device. when i get back in the theatre monday i'm going to double check that the routing in saffire mix is correct and test it out.

"Multiplay" is a similar program to Qlab, though it is for PC's. Futher fooling with Multiplay and the Saffire seems to show a disagreement in audio drivers. I don't think Multiplay supports ASIO, which is the only driver that Saffire Supports for speaking between audio programs on a PC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back