SC feeder cable directly to circuit breaker (Square D)

I would assume you'd have to use those Chinese finger pulls I can't remember the name of

kellems grip
proxy.php

Kellem's Grip would be the word or trade name for the Chineese finger girp like cord grip One of my guys just got a @$!! from a broken wire rope strand of one of the grips on a tester he was working on today. It was on a tester box I built a least 15 years ago, and it housed six 16/3 conductors.

While the Kellem's grip (Hubbell) stiyle cord grip does grip cable well, and on a tester box does do better in gripping cable seemily better than a two screw cord grip or rubber cord grip - especially for multi conductors thru them over a long period of time and a lot of use, one would need to tape or heat shrink over it and it's better individual conductors even if they also frequently pull out of a heavy use cord grip.

That's for a cord grip that you don't have to attach and remove cables. A two screw cord grip with friction tape around conductors is the best option for temporary install. Doing feeder cable thru a Kellems grip would be cursed, and I have not even seen it done for a company switch where the CamLoc tales are pre-mounted to the box. Interesting idea though, but better perminant panel mount CamLoc at that point.

Something mentioned I didn't catch above was the larger wire, going into a breaker too small for the cable going into it. Didn't know why it was about Square D specifically.

I have been told by roadies in the past, given the "Skin Effect" of cable, you would want to remove conductors from the inner core of a wire connected to a breaker with hole too small to connect to its terminal. I would think that if going into a venu before hand, and if pre-knowing a breaker won't fit your wire, if there is that gauge of "Pin Terminal" crimp would be a good idea. If not available for such a large wire in not checking, there is a number of screw down or crimp termials that could be made into a pin terminal concept. (A tricky thing to do properly.)

This all assuming the ferrule or say solder pot tinned tails won't fit.

Side note, on stranded wire - especially fine stranded wire just shoved into a circuit breaker or buss bar where a screw or set screw is directly screwed down onto the wire... it's always a bad thing to do. Strands are cut buy the screw screwing into it, the flow especially with expansion and contraction and settling under amperage etc. Even a 12ga ferrule normally on a 16ga conductor will easily cut thru a ferrule and still cut the conductors short of doubling up the wire or a second sleeve of a 16ga ferrule. On the circuite breaker I have frequently seen strands of feeder cable pushed out of the way by way of pressure into the areas of a set screw on a circuit breaker not under pressure from it. Strands just hanging about without any tensin on them, than the skin effect of current now having to adjust in extra resistance.

It gets complex. On a feeder if it won't fit, better to crimp and or make some sort of pin terminal if not already made for the conductor in not otherwise fitting with foil wrap, ferrule or pin terminal connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back