Scenic Paint

Jackalope

We've been using rosco supersat for years, but I've noticed that Artists Choice also has a saturated paint line. Has anyone used both and can give me the straight dope on whether the higher cost of rosco is warranted.... ie does the artist choice perform as well as the rosco supersat?

My wife is the scenic design professor at Elon University and she prefers the Artists Choice paints to Rosco; I think it has to do more with the types of colors available and the cheaper price then with any side-by-side comparisons of quality. For example, Rosco only came out with a Payne's Grey earlier this year, so Artists Choice was the only option for Payne's Grey for all her previous years of painting.

I have asked the same thing to many charge artists. All say go buy with artist choice. Rosco is not a better product.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I've painted with both Artists Choice and various types of Rosco. I find it really comes down to a personal preference. I was trained to paint using Rosco OffBroadway so that is what I tend to lean towards (even though I've never noticed a huge difference between products, you go with what you know).

Ultimately Rosco and Artists Choice is the same caliber of paint with minute handling differences in opacity, dilution and reaction/curing.

When I need a metallic paint I always use Artists Choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back