Sched. 40 Alum Pipe Sourcing

jstroming

Hello all;

Currently building some meat racks, looking for some aluminum pipe suppliers. I need about 300' of 1.5" sched. 40 initially. I'd prefer to go pick it up, I'm located in NYC, shop's in North Jersey, so I can travel a ways to pick it up. I've tried the usual suspects (lewisohn, mcmaster, IronWorks, etc) and the cheapest I've been able to get down to is $5.20/ft. Any suggestions on suppliers? Thanks friends!

Instead of asking for '1 1/2 inch schedule 40 pipe', try asking for '2 inch diameter structural tubing, 1/8" wall'. You should be able to get the price down to about half the pipe cost you mentioned. Check with some local fabrication shops to see who the region's suppliers are. The aluminum itself is a commodity that's market priced competitively across the country, but shipping is another matter.

Depends on the tolerance of the kee klamps. Structural tubing is exact measurements, not nominal, so a 2" OD tube does require a full 2" hole. If you have the klamps on hand already, measure one. If it's 2", you're good. If it's under 2", you'll either need to stay with the pipe, or bore out the clamps, or come up with a different design.

Silly question--have you checked the yellow pages for metal suppliers?

If that doesn't (or didn't) work, definitely check with local fabricators as FatherMurphy suggests.

And just another thought--unless you *need* them to be aluminum for weight reasons, steel pipe will be cheaper and probably endure the frequent clamping/unclamping better.

Since weight was brought up, what would the weight difference be per foot between aluminum and steel?

Based on specific gravity of steel (7.85) and aluminum (2.7), the ratio is 7.85/2.7 = 2.9. So, for a given schedule (or diameter/wall thickness), steel will be about 3 times the weight of the aluminum.

Joe

Thanks Sean and Joe. Helpful information. An 8 or 10 foot length wouldn't make much difference, but 300 feet worth of pipe could make quite a difference.

Don't know if it too far away but I have gotten some great pricing in the past from Fall Fittings 845-255-5710.

I made my meat rack from old scafolding. Sometimes rental places get new gear in and will sell old fr dirt cheap prices. Then I just had to weld the long pipe that the lights hang from. works great and was really cheap

Ken Pogin
Production / Tour Manager
Minnesota Ballet

Users who are viewing this thread

Back