Scoping lights for mini- theater.

Doug Lowthian

Setting up a new theater space. Temporary space, wil be used a few times a year for productions. Rest of the time its a meeting room. Lighting will be temporary mounted. Room is standard 8 foot ceiling, about 16 feet wide, and 35 feet long. Stage is temporary risers 16 inches in height with flats as a back wall.

I'd like to spec out a portable light and control system. for this space.

Thinking of using a selection of DJ level pars along with a couple of Source Four Minis. Distance from spots to stage is no more than 20 feet.

I can't find much about using these in micro theaters like this. Thoughts?

How about a recommendation for a control board for a dozen or so lights, low to mid budget.

Thanks in advance...

ETC ColorSource20 with a ColorSource Wireless DMX relay. It's a great option for a small multi-use room; allows for real simple DMX distro and power management.
IMHO.

With that low a ceiling height, I wonder about dusting off the Ariel Davis/Electro Controls much loathed idea, but using real unistrut. A standard pipe grid with clamps wastes a lot of space.

With that low a ceiling height, I wonder about dusting off the Ariel Davis/Electro Controls much loathed idea, but using real unistrut. A standard pipe grid with clamps wastes a lot of space.

I created a performance space in a former office space once and I simply removed some of the 2'x2' ceiling tiles and replaced them with white painted 3/4" ply squares. I was only using 6 cans for lighting the performance area so I just made 6 of them with a hole and t-nut in the center of each. this worked very well for our short run. Using tile spaces that were located right next to a supported run of the t-bar ceiling grid helped. Installing Strut and using struts nuts is a very practical way to go! I should have thought of that!

Small room and low ceiling does not have to equal very limited lights. Many years back I did a 40Kw par show in a restaurant with about a 9 foot ceiling. Plenty of room above the ceiling to fit the show, and then just substituted 2x4 plexiglass for ceiling tiles! During the day, you couldn't even tell the show was there. And, No, they didn't melt! ;)
proxy.php

Two or three T-bar stands with ADJ 5P Hex Pars would give a good wash from 20-30 feet. Use ADJ Ultra Hex Bars for stage uplighting.

A good used Smartfade would do the job for control. Or, you could do more for less with a MyDMX Buddy hooked to your laptop.

Small room and low ceiling does not have to equal very limited lights. Many years back I did a 40Kw par show in a restaurant with about a 9 foot ceiling. Plenty of room above the ceiling to fit the show, and then just substituted 2x4 plexiglass for ceiling tiles! During the day, you couldn't even tell the show was there. And, No, they didn't melt! ;)

The heat in the ceiling wasn't to much??

I don't have problem with strut so long as it's properly supported and you're using all of the right; flat washers, lock washers, correct length bolts and safeties.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

This is very helpful; thank you. I honestly can't remember if it has ceiling tiles or not with space above. I'll look at that and some of the products you all mentioned here!

Due to very short throws to get decent angles, you will need wide-beamspread fixtures and most DJ-type fixtures don't seem to do this.
Could possibly employ ADJ LSF (Light Shaping Filter) on LED units to widen the beam.

The heat in the ceiling wasn't to much??
No, we ran the show for three summers, each three months in length. I was up making adjustments after the show many times and it wasn't really that warm up there. Most of the heat passed with the beam through the plexi, and apparently enough was absorbed through the steel of the roof that the lights didn't have much effect. The only times it was uncomfortable to work up there were in the afternoons when the sun had been beating on the roof. (The shows were at night.) Even had the dimmer racks up there. Old SCRimmer boat anchors.

Rather than raise the stage and loose height, consider tiering the audience.

I think you might look at the etc colorsource linear with spread lenses as a low profile unit that washes the stage. McCandless to reveal form probably isn't necessary in this small of space without long viewing distance. Think wash, contra lighting, and color. The tiered audience will help the contra lighting, reducing glare in audience. Trying to get area control with low ceiling will be frustrating.

I don't mean only linear, but primary face light. Some sort of profile that with a gobo can throw a pattern would be nice - texture and vary the floor.

I concur - this might be a space where unistrut is the right choice. Do one way with strut and you can always come back and do opposite with pipe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back