The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Seam allowance

Discussion in 'Costumes and Makeup' started by derekleffew, Sep 2, 2008.

1. derekleffew

derekleffew Resident Curmudgeon Senior Team Premium Member

I know the "standard" seam allowance is 5/8", but in costume class we were told to use a full 1". Now I'm not sure if this was for expandability, or to somehow compensate for our lack of sewing skills. I felt the 1" never worked very well, as it proved too bulky. What does everyone else use?

2. soundman

soundman Well-Known Member

5/8" when sewing then surge it so it ends up being a bit closer to 1/2" On some seams we would have to trim the seam (inside curve I think was one of them) or it would end up too bilky to look nice in the end.

3. Footer

Footer Senior Team Senior Team Premium Member

1" Always. 2" to 3" for a rental stock. 1" works because odds are that piece is going to go into stock and will need to be altered later for whatever you are doing. Last place I worked I believe they did 2" because of the show package thing.

4. Dally

Dally Member

At OU we did 1/2". Saves on fabric, and dealing with extra bulk. Rental stuff sometimes differed, but would be orignlaly a 1/2" and grow larger as it was taken in.

5. DaveySimps

DaveySimps CBMod CB Mods Premium Member

Performing Arts Center Manager
    We use 1" as a rule, but there are always exceptions to the rule as needed. Most of our stuff goes into stock to be reused / rented down the road.

~Dave

6. gafftaper

gafftaper Senior Team Senior Team Fight Leukemia

Theater Manager & T.D.
    I was told 1" in the costume class I took... although with my skills :rolleyes:

7. cryptozoology

cryptozoology Member

In all the costume shops I have worked in, we either use 1/2" or 1", depending on the project. Usually because the two allow the most possibility for taking in or letting out seams as needed.

8. Grog12

Grog12 CBMod CB Mods Premium Member

0" namely because I married a Costumer so I wouldn't have to do this kinda thing. She on the other hand uses...Well apparently it depends on what she's building...now that theres a costume section I imagine she may start showing up on this board.

9. bobgaggle

bobgaggle Well-Known Member

Shop Foreman
    I'm taking basic costume construction right now and the book we're using by rebecca cunningham says 1/2" seam allowance

10. Grog12

Grog12 CBMod CB Mods Premium Member

Which is probably a good middle ground.

According to my CD wife one of the major factors is whether you're building it for stock or not. Stock costumes require a larger seam allowance as you never know who's going to wear it ine future.

11. justjasen72

justjasen72 Member

Resident Costume Designer
    Currently I use 1/2 in all of my construction. When I designed for the Ohio Light Opera, we used 1" on the sides and shoulders, to make it easier to alter the next time we used the costumes. I never had a problem with the 1" as a rule, I guess the "Bulk" is dependent on the fabric used in the garment and how it is constructed. I would often steam the seams and then using a rubber mallet, pound out any bulk.

12. Kary Stowe

Kary Stowe Member

If i am using a pattern... I stick with the 5/8 because I find that patterns work better if you cut them and stick with the recommended seam allowance and there are less adjustments needed. However if i am not using a pattern or are creating my own then i for sure go with 1" so that there is more room to "grow" later down the road.