Selecon Pacific gobo options?

Sayen

So I've heard, but never tried, using a Selecon Pacific with a transparency. I've even searched here, but each post detailing the wonders of the fixture assumes the reader has a clue...but I don't. Do I need anything other than a heat shield and gobo holder? Heat shield behind the gobo, I would assume? We have the fixtures and holders, but not the shields...and I would just as soon not leave a puddle of molten plastic in the bottom of any of my lights.

Biggest things that come to mind are the importance of adjusting the lamp as per the manual for the Pacific, which I'm sure you've read (Right?), and insuring that you have the correct side of the transparency facing towards to the lamp. I have even gone without the heat shield on one-offs without any problems but it is still good to use it whenever possible.

Are these regular transparencies?

I do keep all of our lights maintained and lamps adjusted. Just still seems so hot.

Yep, regular transparencies are fine. The heat shield is fairly important - like Metti said, you can go without it, but it's not ideal. I think it removes the UV as well - something like that. The nice thing is, that even if you do get it wrong, it doesn't melt the transparency, it just burns through it - no mess. I usually go through at least one gobo while I'm peaking the lamp correctly, but when you get it right they last for ages. Most recommendations would be to only use the transparencies with a 600w base (I'm presuming the lamp ratings are the same in the USA?) but I have used it in a 1kw, you just have to be careful and not run it past about 55-60%.

Great, thank you.

So, which side is the correct side of the transparency towards the lamp? I would assume ink faces away?

With laser printers the ink does face away, with inkjet printers it doesn't matter but laser printed images look 1000x time better since you can print transparencies at much higher DPI. Also, there is a difference between a proper bench focus for normal operations and a proper one when you want to use transparencies. This is all pretty well explained on Selecon's website (Pacific D-I-Y Plastic Images).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back