Select lens angle

stgjim

Forgive me if I have posted this before. Old and getting CRS. I have a cross that I want to illuminate that is appx 125' from from fixture location. It is appx 25' tall with the cross arm appx 6' accross. Planning to use 2 Chauvet OVATION E-260WW fixtures. I used an old formula I had and came up with a 12 degree lens. Chauvet offers a 14 degree which I figured is close enough.

The cross is hung in from of organ pipes and i plan to use shutters to frame the cross

Would one of you kind souls care to comment on my calculation. Since I plan to use shutters, would the next angle up (19 degrees) be a safer bet.

Thanks for your time.

I also suffer from CRS. The tighter the beam angle, the more lumens on the object (really the same lumens focused in a smaller area making increasing the density of light in the smaller area). I'd go with the 14degree lens vice 19.

Also, have you considered a S4 Jr or regular S4 from the secondary market for that throw distance? Better selection of lens tubes.

I also suffer from CRS. The tighter the beam angle, the more lumens on the object (really the same lumens focused in a smaller area making increasing the density of light in the smaller area). I'd go with the 14degree lens vice 19.

Also, have you considered a S4 Jr or regular S4 from the secondary market for that throw distance? Better selection of lens tubes.
Part of decision for LED was an existing power circuit feeding AutoYokes can be used without adding circuits for the fixtues and DMX is available.
Chaulet claims LED's in fixture have more light than 750w regular.

Last time I lit a cross in a church at about that distance I used a PAR64 CP60 VNSP which has an approximate soft beam angle of 12 degrees, although the cross wasn't 25' tall, more like 12. There was a bit of spill, of course, but it seemed to add to the effect. I gelled it in L201; the cold crisp light made the silver of the cross really sparkle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back