Control/Dimming Self Balancing Dimmer Rack

For any students interested, there are any number of fine books on the subject of the development of electrical distribution systems. One of my favorites is "Edison, Tesla and Westinghouse and the Race to Electrify the World'. Has much to say about the differences and applications of DC versus AC current.

One of the fascinating things (in my mind) is how (at the time) AC won out over DC due it's ability, thru the easier application of step up/step down transformers, to allow electricity to be transmitted over long distances. All of which has been somewhat mitigated by the improvements in AC and DC rectifying circuits that now allow huge voltages and wattages of DC to be transmitted over distance and under water. One of the best uses is providing interconnections between large transmission systems where the DC connection eliminates the need to sync two systems of AC. Simply rectify to DC, transmit, then rectify back to AC. Widely used in Europe and Japan and seeing use here in the US as well.

This is an absolutely fascinating book. (Yes, I'm a nerd, I know.) It's full title is actually Empires of Light if anybody is looking for it. I was particularly enthralled since it discusses the origin of my job; I'm a high voltage engineer.

The true shame is that the beginnings of AC electricity as we know has been largely destroyed by urban sprawl in Niagara Falls, NY. The first commercially viable installation of AC power was a hydroelectric facility called the Adams Generating Station on the US bank just upstream of the falls. Westinghouse provided the generators built using Tesla's designs. Sadly, all that is left is the transformer house. The rest of the facility, the turbine halls, wheel pits, and intake canal have been filled in. The tailrace tunnel still exists and is used by a municipal water treatment plant to exhaust treated water back in to the Niagara river downstream of the falls.

Now I'm done with my contribution to the thread derailment (get it...derailment :mrgreen:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back