Serious Injury on Spiderman

So he makes all these "hard landings" with gear that wasn't calibrated for him? Shouldn't he have brought this up before he performed the stunts?

He probably did, but he was filling in. I imagine if he refused to go on until it was re-calibrated the producers would have just found someone else to do it and he wouldn't have gotten paid.

Methinks this stuntman don't know what he's talkin' about. "Recalibrating"? Reeeeeeaaaaaalllllly????:rolleyes:

He probably did, but he was filling in. I imagine if he refused to go on until it was re-calibrated the producers would have just found someone else to do it and he wouldn't have gotten paid.

Yeah, except this is NYC and actors have quite the bit of union protection on bway, I can't imagine equity staying quite if they had tried that.

I assume these sorts of rigs are designed to move many hundreds of pounds if not thousands. I would also assume that the difference in 40lbs or so one way or another of a performers weight would be insignificant to the overall system. If the performer weighed 500lbs more than the previous guy then some work would probably be done, but a few pounds one way or another would make no difference on the way the system works.

Could he be complaining about height? Say the system was designed to stop him at "X" inches above the deck. But he comes along and he's 6 inches taller than the other guy so his legs hit the deck 6" before the X stopping point and the deceleration is too hard on him...

Could he be complaining about height? Say the system was designed to stop him at "X" inches above the deck. But he comes along and he's 6 inches taller than the other guy so his legs hit the deck 6" before the X stopping point and the deceleration is too hard on him...

With the term "recalibrated" that would be my guess as well rather than dealing with weight, instead it's adjusting how much travel there is, even if he's only a little taller that could make a big enough difference with the stuff they are doing. The change in weight wouldn't do too much to effect the speed or force with which he was being moved. Maybe not its not even the deceleration that's too hard on him its that because the other guy was perhaps shorter, when he hits the deck it is at a slower rate, but because his feet get there sooner the rig hasn't slowed his landing enough and he's hitting too hard.

With the term "recalibrated" that would be my guess as well rather than dealing with weight, instead it's adjusting how much travel there is, even if he's only a little taller that could make a big enough difference with the stuff they are doing. The change in weight wouldn't do too much to effect the speed or force with which he was being moved. Maybe not its not even the deceleration that's too hard on him its that because the other guy was perhaps shorter, when he hits the deck it is at a slower rate, but because his feet get there sooner the rig hasn't slowed his landing enough and he's hitting too hard.

A couple of strokes on a keyboard should be able to fix that for an automated system. I cant imagine no one would have done that.

A couple of strokes on a keyboard should be able to fix that for an automated system. I cant imagine no one would have done that.

I suppose I didn't think of that, maybe they did forget or over look it, but I would think that with all the people likely involved somebody would have thought of that.

I should have hoped there would be an SOP for that....

One would also assume they had an SOP for making sure people were properly hooked into their harness, but we know they didn't.

Even if his height or even weight were different, the first time I hit hard I would have said something. I an't imagine they would blow him off after all the bad publicity they have endured.

Are you sure it's computer controlled. Physical limits would have been cheaper, and given that the show was built to never move venues just as effective. They would also be a lot more of a pain to reset (or "recalibrate").

Are you sure it's computer controlled. Physical limits would have been cheaper, and given that the show was built to never move venues just as effective. They would also be a lot more of a pain to reset (or "recalibrate").

All you would need though, is different show files. I am assuming that the automated system would use three step process for movement, as weight isn't a recalibration issue as a digital system would sense it. So it would be an acceleration phase, travel after acceleration phase and deceleration phase. The only thing that would have to be different for each show file/performer would be the travel phase. Just take 6 inches off or whatever the height differentiation would be and you would be set.

All you would need though, is different show files. I am assuming that the automated system would use three step process for movement, as weight isn't a recalibration issue as a digital system would sense it. So it would be an acceleration phase, travel after acceleration phase and deceleration phase. The only thing that would have to be different for each show file/performer would be the travel phase. Just take 6 inches off or whatever the height differentiation would be and you would be set.

Again that's assuming it's a computer controlled system. Given that the system was constructed to never be moved and to have one actor for extended periods of time a fully mechanical system could be used.

Again that's assuming it's a computer controlled system. Given that the system was constructed to never be moved and to have one actor for extended periods of time a fully mechanical system could be used.

Aren't there like six different spidermans pershow?

And do we really think a 60 million dollar show, using the best people in the industry would half ass it?

It's all automation, friends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back