Set Models - Do you use them?

Do you use a set model in your design porcess?

• Total voters
I think when everybody is at a production meeting, a model is the only way to clearly communicate your ideas. But if you're already making everything in a CAD program like Vectorworks, it doesn't have to be that painful.

Set up your viewports so that everything makes sense on your sheet layer. Plot to PDF, import to Photoshop, slap on a little color, print, cut and glue.

If I really want to go the extra mile, I'll import the photoshop work back into VW and that way the LD can actually experiment with lighting things that have color and texture. While it might sound like a lot, it's not that bad, a few times and you'll be able to do it quickly and then your presentations will be stunning.

My scenic designer will do models depending on the director. I do most of my work in CADD, which I find provides good-enough "3D" to communicate with. I agree I can achieve a lot more in a timeframe in CADD than model building, but it is a valuable tool.

The one school I work at now has a 3D printer to compliment their CNC mill. I need to see if I can create some pipeline for generating models with it. It also seems nifty for prop work. But alas, if only there are only so many hours in a day.

As a Scenic Artist, I have on many occasions used the model in place of paint elevations, if no elevations actually exist. I also find them helpful so I can see how the set designer wants the whole "picture" to look since elevations are only unit by unit.

I try to build one for as many shows as I can. I even go as far as to not only build to scale, but I try to leave areas of the final "skin" or "set Dressing" of the walls and such either open or removable so that as the kids are building, they can actually check out the model. I take a good bit of time to build each piece, just as I would with the actual lumber. We did a Romeo and Juliet last year, in the form of a Western (I know, sounds crazy, but it was really cool) and we had to be able to tear it down in pieces and load it into a truck and drive to Butler, PA for the ITS State Conference. We performed on their main stage and were told that they had never scene anyone bring an entire 2 story set complete with a usable balcony!!! The kicker was we only had 2 hours to set it up. Using the model helped us build it in a fashion that was safe, acurate, and fast to unload, set-up, and then tear down. The final set-up for the conference only took us 1 hour and 35 minutes!!!! I know it is a dying art, but I think it is definately an priceless tool!!!

I work in educational settings designing sets for productions in Secondary Schools and Universities and do find that scale models help me visualise the spaces that i use on a regular basis... However most of the time i do it in [what i think to be] a fairly unconventional method. When building a model i use a mixture of cardboard, cassette boxes, lego, matchboxes...anything that i can get my hands on... and lay them out in the correct positions and photograph them to help me get across what i am thinking to the production team. I find this useful as i'm not really verbally articulate about my artistic ideas, I know what i want something to look like but i can't explain it very well so i photoshop the photo's to match my thoughts. Also, when drawing plans i use PowerPoint A LOT. It is so easy to get things drawn to scale and then move them around and place the different set pieces where they are needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back