Set/Prop Design & Construction Conflicts

EustaceM

What were some of the most common conflicts you ran into when designing and constructing a set or prop? How did you solve the conflict

What were some conflicts you ran into when designing and constructing a set/prop where you had to solve the conflict in unique or "thinking -out-of-the-box" ways?

I would love to hear what you all have to say....

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking but I will give it a shot. I used to work with a very talented designer that was much better conceptually than in practicallity. On more than one occasion I recieved designs that ranged from impossible to do, to needing creative solutions. Since I was always in charge of the actual construction, he stretched my problem solving abilities.
I did a set where I had to take my crew out and dismantle old barns and storage buildings to get the wood needed for his design. In the same set he wanted a floor to be able to swing up and become a wall by having the actors cross it. That had to be struck because it would have required a counter weight system to assist the actors. It would have also required a tiedown method so it only went up when desired. Plus the catch method to hold it vertically was unreliable. I convinced the director that the difficulty and safety factors were too great for the benefit.
I usually prided myself for finding solutions to most design requests. I was recently contacted by a local theattre about Chigago. They were looking for a solution for the elevator in the hotel. I gave them several ideas but the best I thought was using a door with translucent panels and make a light move from the bottom to top of the door to make it look like the car was moving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back