Setting up Eos Client sofware

So I'm having trouble getting my Macbook pro to talk to my theaters etc ion. I mite just be stupid but Is there some way someone can give me some kind of tutorial on how I can get this software to work, and i do have the little doggle thing so i can use the client mode

-Make sure the console is networked with the Macbook, either through a switch, access point, or directly with a cat5 cable (since you have a MacBook it's ethernet port should be auto-sensing so you won't have to worry about it being a crossover cable)

-If a router is involved make sure it's IP and subnet are set propperly (KnowledgeBase: ETC Network IP Addresses - Electronic Theatre Controls)

-Make sure the Console and MacBook are on the same subnet (if the address server is turned off in the console you will have to do this manually). Assuming your console is setup with the default IP:
--If setting your computer's IP manually ETC recommends clients be in the 10.101.1.101 - 10.101.1.252 range
---Set the subnet to 255.255.0.0
---Set the gateway to be the same as your IP

-Bryan

James, next time you should come find me in OBT or Glaize and ask me. I have only had to set it up about a baggilion times. Everything Bryan said is what you need to do. There should only be one or two minor things not set right for it seeing as how it was working over the summer just fine.

--If setting your computer's IP manually ETC recommends clients be in the 10.101.1.101 - 10.101.1.252 range
---Set the subnet to 255.255.0.0
---Set the gateway to be the same as your IP

That's not the way I read the document you linked to.
The way I read it, ETC's default for the ION is 10.101.1.101 and they recommend using addresses from there up to.253 for the consoles.
I would therefore suggest an IP in the range 10.101.1.1 through 10.101.1.100 would be more appropriate for the computer.
You do not need to specifiy a default gateway unless you need to be able to access networks beyond the LAN. The gateway simply tells the computer where to go looking for the router that will give it access to networks beyond the LAN...

That's not the way I read the document you linked to.
The way I read it, ETC's default for the ION is 10.101.1.101 and they recommend using addresses from there up to.253 for the consoles.
I would therefore suggest an IP in the range 10.101.1.1 through 10.101.1.100 would be more appropriate for the computer.
You do not need to specifiy a default gateway unless you need to be able to access networks beyond the LAN. The gateway simply tells the computer where to go looking for the router that will give it access to networks beyond the LAN...

Not to quibble about IP addresses, but... According to the wiki article, the Ion's IP address range is between 10.101.100.101 to 10.101.101.253. A client computer (found under third party devices and "Net3 PC Control") is recommended to be between 10.101.1.101 to 10.101.1.253.

These are recommended IP address ranges, meaning that others may work, but they really should be used unless there are particular site reasons to change them.

On the same topic, if I want to just use a laptop as a RVI type thing (just so the LD can see the channel display), do I need a dongle? Can I just plug it in directly or do I need a router?

Thanks

To use a laptop as an RVI in mirror mode (i.e., displays only and no control), then you don't need a dongle, just the Eos offline software.

We recommend using an ethernet switch (you don't need a router) when hooking up a client PC. The Ion's ethernet port is auto-switching, meaning you don't need a crossover cable, but it is much more plug-and-play to use a switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back