Setting your DMX - DIP, LCD, RDM, ???

What type of switch do you prefer on your fixtures?

• Total voters

IAmLumenator

Premium Member
I thought I'd take a quick break from my FreeStyler post and ask how you guys prefer to set your DMX address channel values for your fixtures.

Which type of switch do you prefer on your fixtures?

I like DIP switches myself. I was an embedded systems programmer in a previous life so binary conversions stuck with me. I do have a couple fixtures that force me to use a menu system and up/down arrows to set the starting address, and sitting there holding the button seems very clunky. I've also noticed that those fixtures must be powered to set the address, and one of them lost the internal battery backup so I actually have to power and hang the light to set it. If the power goes out during the show, all bets are off as to what that fixture will do when powered on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with the DIP switches. Maybe I'm just impatient, but I would much prefer taking 5 seconds to set the switches instead of waiting, holding down a tiny button until it speeds up just in time to miss the number you were aiming for.

Multiple options seem the only smart choice. RDM is fast and cool if you're set up for it. Local (LCD) can coexist and it can be better designed than most current systems.

Unfortunately DIPs block all other options and force manual action, with a small tool! My first RDM use prevented a 1/2hr ladder set up for a less than ideal reach. Keep in mind that not everything is a RnR arena show or traditional drama.

I prefer menus, gives a lot more options on the low end then just dip switches. I wish I had dip switches on the cheap chinese LED pars I bought though, it never speeds up so it can take a long time to address fixtures or set color levels if they're just set and forget lights. Our local rental house has some really low end 1st gen LED pars that have dip switches and it can be nice to quickly set colors on them for uplights, especially if he's renting them out for a wedding or something then it's much easier for him to explain to the renter how to set them. You don't get nearly as many color options that way, if you want a choice of more than the 6 colors you can make on the switches you have to run data to them.

As mentioned, DIP switches are the easiest and are non-volatile. I also like three rotary switches; the thumbwheel kind would be real nice but are way too expensive. The worst is the cheap PARs that must be reset every power cycle.
/mike

Menus and RDM get my vote. I would prefer sACN if it were available but it has not caught on yet. My current favourite is the Clay Paky line where the fixtures can be programmed without connecting to mains power. Very convenient.

There aren't many fixtures these days that only need an address. Most of them have some sort of "advanced" features that make DIP switches impractical. BTW, I have yet to run across a fixture that dumps it's settings on loss of power.

You guy must be the only people in the world that like dip switches! :p

I'm also not great at mental math, so I usually use a phone app, plus when you yell up to someone "hey what address do those fixtures start at?" Glancing at at a number is much more convenient.

Most fixtures these day have many other options that have to be configured, so to me lcd screens make the most sense. Many newer fixtures now have a battery that lets you change fixture setting without plugging in the fixture. WOOT!

As mentioned, DIP switches are the easiest and are non-volatile. I also like three rotary switches; the thumbwheel kind would be real nice but are way too expensive. The worst is the cheap PARs that must be reset every power cycle.
/mike
I'm a rotary switch fan too. Don't have to worry about flying past the correct number with a LCD and increment buttons and easy to read with a quick glance compared to dip switches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back