Sewing machines

cmckeeman

Does anyone have any recommendations for sewing machines, i'm looking on spending between $40 and $60 as a Christmas present for my girlfriend. right now i'm looking at getting her this one.

Seriously? Does she know how to sew? How old is she? That's a toy, and would likely offend any costumer. Like buying a chef an Easy Bake Oven. Read the user reviews, especially the bad ones. You're going to have to up your budget to at least $100-$150 to get anything respectable. Or try Goodwill, Salvation Army, pawn shops for something pre-owned.

How about a really good pair of pinking shears instead: Amazon.com: Professional Pinking Shears 10 5/8" Wiss: Arts, Crafts & Sewing . Wardrobe people loves their scissors, and they'll stab you with them if you try to borrow them. Or so I've heard. :liar:

just to clear something up this is a present for personal use, not for use by a professional seamstress, and she knows the basics of sewing with a machine that's it, any brands you might recommend.

I think it's been 30+ since I've touched a sewing machine, but Husqvarna, Viking (I guess they merged at some point? Nope they've always been the same.) Of course Singer (once parent/parallel company to Century Lighting!). Brother seems to have some models that look okay and not too expensive. Too bad we don't have more stitcher s on CB.

I'd go to a store like JoAnn Fabrics and see what they recommend. Look for a good, solid machine, not all plastic, if that's even possible these days. Just like choosing a power tool. You don't need a zillion stitch types or embroidery or bells and whistles, auto button holers or zipper inserters.

My wife bought a Brother brand a few years ago. I think it was $99 at Target. It's actually a GREAT machine. has the oomph to keep up all sorts of craft projects, has a few of those silly bells and whistles < only 80% of which are completely useless>.

Now, it's no Juki straight stitch, and it sure as hell isn't my Walking foot industrial Zig-Zag, but it was also only $99.

You might find this thread (forgive the pun) from another forum I frequent helpful. The fellows over there think the term "thread injector" sounds more like a power tool than "sewing machine".

I'd look in thrift shops before buying a new machine - everything "domestic" or "portable" in the past 10 years that I've bought out of the new lines (Juki/Bernette/Bernina, Pfaff {this one was particularly disappointing, given the cost}, Singer, Viking) has been absolute drek. I keep going back to my semiportable (the dang thing weighs about 50 lbs) Riccar, which is ancient but still the most reliable thing I've ever used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back