Non-moving head fixtures with a gobo wheel???

Caleb Ply

Does anyone know of a non-moving LED fixture that would have a gobo wheel? I'm looking to replace our high sides (currently some old Colortran ellipsodials) with an LED fixture. Ideally, I'd like to be able to remotely change from open to a gobo effect. Since these are located high between the curtain legs, there really isn't much need for a moving head fixture. Is this just wishful thinking?

The answer used to be the GAM SX4 - but they were clunky and large and not as reliable as a moving light as far as gobo changing goes. I wouldn't try to find used ones, that's for sure.

I believe the Elation KL Spot IP may have this - paging @rsmentele for clarification. You'd need to add the accessory framing module if you want framing shutters- not sure if you have to take out a gobo wheel to do that? You will find moving heads in the same price range as the KL Spot IP, but not any with as many features as it has. However, the price difference between the KL Spot IP and Fuse Profile is so small that you may want to consider Fuse Profiles for this application. They're limited in some colors - for instance they have a hard time making a good saturated yellow - but they produce theatrical pastels unlike any CMY system and can change color in an instant since it's additive instead of subtractive color mixing. And the additive mixing also eliminates the mechanics of a color mixing system that are more prone to failure than other parts of a moving light over time.

KL Spot IP does have a full rotating gobo wheel. No loss of any feature to add the motorised framing, we just made it optional as most applications that would use this fixture won't need framing. But as others have said, it's not an inexpensive fixture. It's essentially a Fuze Profile fixture without a yoke. It's main purpose was outdoor use, so thus is heavier and more expensive than a traditional leko.

Cheap chinese movers, depending on how bright you need. So you don't use the move function.. They're cheap enough, change colors, go from open to various gobos.. What's not to like at 100 bucks a pop for a 90 watt LED fixture.
I noticed SHEDS has some in the 375 watt LED 600 buck range if you need bright. So you dont need them to move, but you might surprise yourself how you might use them if they could as well. Just have a focus pallet or a cue 999 that you can save from show file to show file to set their position for sure at startup.

I know we don't like to talk about it with LEDs, but would it be cheaper and more effective to just double hang the position?

KL Profile is a great fixture, but that's a lot of extra stuff you're not likely to use.
It looks like your basically spending the same amount of money to buy one of the profiles above or 2 regular LED fixtures with similar performance. So the moment you need 3 fixtures something like the fixtures above gets very easy to justify. And even if you only need 2 I could see the extra moving light kinds of features being very useful for lighting concerts and especially dance. And the framing shutters would be really useful for theatrical shows. Being able to tweak shutter cuts as set pieces move around or drops fly in and out would be really nice, and potentially save you needing even more fixtures.

I'm sure there are gobo rotator add-ons that somehow fit into the gobo slot(or otherwise attach) to conventional fixtures. The pre-LED works was full of all sorts of tricks to multiply the usefulness of conventional fixtures.

There were some as you can see in this thread. But as far as I know they're pretty rare and would probably be pretty hard to come by in decent working condition since most of them probably lived very hard lives in places like amusement parks. And getting any kind of support or parts when they break would probably be next to impossible unless you manage to find more working units so you can strip some for parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back